Missing hatchet fish and nitrite spike

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
Bubbles
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 1 time

Help please!

So the the hatchet I asked about before unfortunately died. I tried swim bladder treatment and adding tannins via bogwood.

Now I'm trying to check all the others (8) are ok but I can only find 6. Theres a lot of vegetation in the tank and I dont know if they're just hiding but I'm suspicious as this morning I did a water test and I'm having a nitrite spike (2). Ammonia reads 0.25 and Nitrates between 40 and 80. I've done a 40% water change. Nitrites have gone down to 0.25 for now.

Do you think theres a dead fish somewhere? Theres nothing floating. Couldn't have jumped out. Is there recommended way of getting rid of nitrites other than changing water every day?

Thanks
Bubbles

Ok, I've got 7 now. One missing....
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5063 times
Been liked: 3426 times

Sorry for your loss. :(
You can counter the nitrites with extra doses of Prime conditioner, but water changes are the straightforward way (with Prime as well ;) ).
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4252 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Try some floating plants, I have Dwarf water lettuce (pistia stratiotes) this do two things, firstly it will give the Hatchets some cover making feel a little more secure and secondly greatly reduce your Nitrates. :]

WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Bubbles

plankton wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 16:13 pm Sorry for your loss. :(
You can counter the nitrites with extra doses of Prime conditioner, but water changes are the straightforward way (with Prime as well ;) ).
Thanks Plankton. I'll do that. Added some more bacteria too.