fatal mistake

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
algae
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 13 times

Its been well over three months since I first introduced fish into my new aquarium but I still consider myself a newbie. I must admit with the expert advise from the more experienced guys on this forum I found the whole procedure to be pretty straight forward. But yesterday when I did a larger than normal water change I lost one of my Guppies. If like me your tank is sited several metres from your discharge point you probably use a hose to siphon the water out same as me. I've always made sure the end of the hose is up against the side of the tank to prevent small fish being sucked up. Yesterday the hose must have been disturbed and one of my Guppies found its way down the pipe and was stranded on the patio. Unfortunately by the time he was discovered it was too late. So from now on I will fix a net over the end of the pipe to prevent something similar happening again. Just thought I'd pass this on just in case you're using an open ended pipe
Redpanda
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 854 times
Been liked: 284 times

I’ve sucked one of the otos once when trying to siphone around plants at the back 🙈 he then got stuck in the wider bit of siphon, I dismantled it and placed him back in the tank. He seemed fine at the time, but then found him dead couple of weeks later. 😭 these things happen..
I’m particularly scared with my shrimp tank as they are tiny ..
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3409 times

Sorry you lost a fish. :(

When syphoning water from my aquariums the water goes outside.
To prevent fish getting sucked up the hose I attach the hose to a shepherds hook with a strainer, attached as in the image below.
The strainer prevents fish getting sucked up.

Hope it helps
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5047 times
Been liked: 3421 times

Sorry for your loss. :(
My guppy fry are always going up the syphon, I have to check the bucket before I pour it on the garden.....
keithmart
Been liked: 13 times

Hi

I use one of these. No probs starting the syphon. There is a grille at the tank end to stop suicidal fish.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353425192490 ... SwoHFgVGIM

And the price won't break the bank!
Regards

Keith
Leeds UK

Remember you are unique .......Just like everyone else
Jon_D
Posting Legend
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 774 times

@keithmart "...I use one of these. No probs starting the syphon" Me too! One of the better buys I made in the hobby.
MasonJ19
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 100 times

I use a python, all my fish seem to stay away from it when it's in there.
jammedfool
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 301 times

I was using a small pump to refill the tank from a bucket, the flow/lift wasnt strong enough and started to siphon back from the tank...
Before I noticed the water level was dropping in the tank, one of my cherry barbs somehow got sucked sideways at a 45' angle. Unfortunately lost him

These things happen, you're not the first and won't be the last, but we all learn from these different mistakes!
40L nano
4x xiphophorus pygmaeus
Cherry shrimp
2x assassin snail

80L 'stairway'
4x Cherry Barb
10x X-ray tetra
4x Amano
1x Dwarf Neon Rainbow

20L Qtank
just java moss
Art
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 105 times

My shrimp tanks are 60 liters. These are cleaned every week. I suck off 20 liters. Before doing this, I take out the waterplant pots and the filter.
Then there is only the sand. 5mm layer, white. Trade name "Snow".
The dirt particles lie on top of the sand and are easy to vacuum off.
I clean the inside of the front window (because of photos).
Then I put the plant pots and the filter back in and add 20 liters of new water.
I decant the extracted water and pour the dirty rest into a white bowl. I turn the water.
The dirt collects in the middle. I suck it off with a small hose. When the bowl is clean, I swirl the water to keep the shrimplets from sticking and pour it back into the basin.
The filter only needs to be cleaned every 3 weeks. I make sure that the shrimplets between the pebbles are not lost.
I made the suction cup from a ketchup bottle.
The screw cap fits well into the 12mm- hose. I made a circle of 6 mm holes in the bottom.
Yes, it happens that shrimps are sucked off as well. but nothing happens to them. I win her again.
BAINBRIDGE
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 59 times

I get my partner to swish a chopstick around the open end of the pipe while I'm out in the garden starting the siphon, I really should get a gauze covering though.
Juwel Trigon 190:

5 Bronze Cory
1 Panda Cory
1 male BN Plec
9 Tiger barbs

Quarantine tank:

6 Tiger Barbs
5 Golden Wonder Panchax