Snail behaviour

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
Toms_Aqaurium
Has liked: 13 times

Morning all.

So I have a collection of Nerites and I've noticed some strange behaviour from some of them. So just wanted to check it was normal .

Since I introduced the black helmets. I can't find them. I saw one half burrowed. So are these known for burrowing into the substrate and using it as a hidey hole?

The more pressing issue, is one of my Zebra snails keeps ending up on his side or back. I will right him - and a couple of minutes later he will be moving up the glass or along the floor. But the next day - same area he will be on his back or side. None of the others do it - it is always near a bit of drift wood - which the shrimp use as there lots of holes and gaps. If I left him, would he be able to file himself over or is something else happening.

assassin snails - do these tend to be nocturnal. As I have not seen any of these since I introduced them. I know they like to burrow - and there is plenty of food for them, as the 'pest' snails are growing in numbers and size. So worried that these may have just died under the substrate.

Thanks.
Redpanda
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 854 times
Been liked: 284 times

Assassins tend to bury themselves for a period I think that’s normal, but when they hunt they can attack nerites and other big snails , so best not to keep them together . When I got nerites, I removed my assassins straight away..
Toms_Aqaurium

Oh :( I thought that assassins didn't attack bigger snails - and only attacked or hunted when the food supply was low. Such a big learning curve.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3423 times

The zebra will usually right themselves, which is a proper sight if you see it! :D
It's usually because they've eaten their fill and rest for 2 or 3 days. (that's when the assassins will move in)
Never had the black helmet nerites, but the limpet nerites do really weird things and get into some difficult places.
Toms_Aqaurium

Touch wood. So far no empty snail shells. Apart from one assassin. And another assassin that has also died. 😬