Juwel Rio 125 stocking advice

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
Wishafish
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 353 times

Hello and welcome 👋

I have the same tank. 🙂 If you want to increase your stocking there are a couple of simple options to improve the filtration. For example, you can purchase Cirax biological media (it comes in boxes that fit the filter) to replace one or more of the sponges. Or you can upgrade the pump to the 1000 lph version, but beware this is pretty powerful and some of my fish didn’t like it. If you’re going to push the stocking levels being able to keep a close eye on your water parameters is essential so plankton’s suggestion of a liquid test kit is really important too.
:] 🦐 🐌
125L: Corydoras trilineatus, Endlers, celestial pearl danios, Amano shrimp, nerite snails, MTS
25L: cherry shrimp, nerite snails, MTS
Lo1
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 221 times

Wishafish wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:43 am Hello and welcome 👋

I have the same tank. 🙂 If you want to increase your stocking there are a couple of simple options to improve the filtration. For example, you can purchase Cirax biological media (it comes in boxes that fit the filter) to replace one or more of the sponges. Or you can upgrade the pump to the 1000 lph version, but beware this is pretty powerful and some of my fish didn’t like it. If you’re going to push the stocking levels being able to keep a close eye on your water parameters is essential so plankton’s suggestion of a liquid test kit is really important too.
This might be interesting on how to increase the performance of Juwel filter:

https://youtu.be/aFXsFNApU-U
:swim: :swim2: :swim:

NACD OptiWhite Aquarium 140l,
F Zone Stainless Steel 15l filter,
Eheim powerLED+ fresh daylight,
Eheim powerLED+ fresh plants,
AI Nero 3 Powerhead,
Twinstar Nano Sterilizer,
Co2 Art PRO-SE.
firsttime_rio125
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

plankton wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:58 am Welcome to the forum. :)
I would buy a liquid test kit rather than the sticks it looks like you're using from the ranges you've put in. You'll have a better idea of what the water parameters actually are then, and be able to tell if there's any toxins (ammonia and nitrite) a lot easier. ;)
You may also find it even better to split your fertilisers into daily doses and prevent too much algae building up.
Thanks for the advice. I too had a feeling that the stripes are good for the start. But now I need better control of the parameters as the population is growing.
How often do you test?
Earlier I used to test every alternate day. But now it's stable and I test twice a week.
Wishafish
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Lo1 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:04 am This might be interesting on how to increase the performance of Juwel filter:

I would suggest being very cautious using media bags in this filter. Based on my experience the flow through the filter is easily blocked/reduced by folded bags, and in addition forcing/wriggling bags of stuff in as he does in the video can actually pop the sections of the filter apart. I was lucky and mine popped back together with not much trouble!
125L: Corydoras trilineatus, Endlers, celestial pearl danios, Amano shrimp, nerite snails, MTS
firsttime_rio125
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Wishafish wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:43 am Hello and welcome 👋

Yes that is a good idea. I will get one.
How often do you change the filter. I have just washed the filter pads ( except nitrax and corse filter) once a month with the aquarium water. Even though the manual says that I need to replace the pads.
One more question, I change about 30% water every 15 days. Is this OK or less?

Thank you for all the guidance :)
Wishafish
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

firsttime_rio125 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 13:25 pm How often do you change the filter. I have just washed the filter pads ( except nitrax and corse filter) once a month with the aquarium water. Even though the manual says that I need to replace the pads.
I don’t change the filter sponges, there is no need unless they fall apart, and changing them would remove some of the beneficial bacteria which you need to process the waste products. I replace the filter floss pads when they disintegrate. Everything gets washed in water change water (used tank water) when it needs it.
stanster
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 32 times

If you look up your local water authority you should be able to get info on your water quality.

It's pretty easy to take out the internal filter and fit an external filter if ever you wanted to go down that route too.
Lo1
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 221 times

Wishafish wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:16 am
Lo1 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:04 am This might be interesting on how to increase the performance of Juwel filter:

I would suggest being very cautious using media bags in this filter. Based on my experience the flow through the filter is easily blocked/reduced by folded bags, and in addition forcing/wriggling bags of stuff in as he does in the video can actually pop the sections of the filter apart. I was lucky and mine popped back together with not much trouble!
When we had a juwel aquarium, we reused the white boxes of the:

Amorax, Carbax, Cirax and Phorax.

Which we refilled with Eheim SUBSTRATpro. Which stops any blocking or forcing.
:swim: :swim2: :swim:

NACD OptiWhite Aquarium 140l,
F Zone Stainless Steel 15l filter,
Eheim powerLED+ fresh daylight,
Eheim powerLED+ fresh plants,
AI Nero 3 Powerhead,
Twinstar Nano Sterilizer,
Co2 Art PRO-SE.
Wishafish
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Lo1 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 17:41 pm
Wishafish wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:16 am

When we had a juwel aquarium, we reused the white boxes of the:

Amorax, Carbax, Cirax and Phorax.

Which we refilled with Eheim SUBSTRATpro. Which stops any blocking or forcing.
Yes that’s what I’ve done now, but it isn’t what was on the video link you’ve shared so I just wanted to warn people.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5033 times
Been liked: 3395 times

OK, I have a Juwel as well, and haven't changed any sponges since I set it up which is now 21 years going on 22. The only thing I change is the white polyfilter, but even that I rinse out weekly (I do about 15% weekly changes) until it disintegrates before changing. The sponges I rinse one every four weeks, so the six or seven I have in there (I swapped the carbon one with an extra course one and the nitrate one with a fine one) get done on a rota basis.
With a new tank I test twice a week (once it's cycled) for a couple of months, then weekly for a couple more, then monthly for the rest of the year. Once I know it's ok I only test when I think I may have a problem.