Temperature issues?

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
Jesssssh
Has liked: 1 time

Hi all,

I've cycled my tank and introduced fish today!

I've got a 90L tank, with some plants. I did a fishless cycle first. The temperature maintained at around 25°c without needing a heater. I have a fluorescent light on a timer that was on for 8hrs per day (2-10pm). I have a lid, but it's not a fitted one, just a sheet of plastic with gaps at the edges.

There are 2 airstones, 2 plants, and a decorative log to swim through. The substrate is fluvial bio-stratum, with gravel over the top.

Today I introduced 8 Black Widow Tetra at 1.30pm. I made sure the light stayed off. The temperature now (8pm) is 27.4°c. There is a heater in the tank but it never turns on, and just to be sure I've unplugged it too.

I can't think why it's got hotter? I don't want to hurt the fish, or stress them out in the first 24hours. Any thoughts?
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4387 times
Been liked: 4045 times

I wouldn't worry too much about your Black Widow Tetras (Gymnocorymbus ternetzi), their pretty hardy and it's not unusual for these fish to be found in higher water temperatures during the dry season. :]
Jesssssh wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 20:08 pm I have a lid, but it's not a fitted one, just a sheet of plastic with gaps at the edges.
You may find this what is keep the heat in, my aquarium with it's glass sliders does this during the summer months.

You could lessen your photoperiod to help with the heat issue. What sort of light is it, T5 by chance?
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5174 times
Been liked: 3486 times

What's the external temperature of the room?

As an aside blackskirt tetras (and some of their skirted cousins) can actually get less problems when kept above 25C, as there is a protozoan that affects "skirt" tetras which doesn't like heat and allows the immune system to sort it out. (I haven't got a note on what the protozoan is, my affinity for noting detail was sadly lacking there I'm afraid, but there was an article in "PFK" about it a long time ago)
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Jesssssh

The room temperature was around 22/23 last night, I put a fan in the room to help cool it a bit. The room is open plan, gets a lot of light but is usually the coolest room in the house.
By this morning with no heater it had come down to 23.3°c so I think it may need the support of the heater for consistency.

I think the light does warm the water (I don't know the brand I'm afraid, it came with the tank - both seconds hand from eBay). The casing does get notably warm to touch after being on for an hour or so. I thought splitting the times it was on could help with the overheating? I've set the timer for 7-9, 1.30- 3.30 and 6-10. Would that stress/confuse the fish? It is a planted tank.

The fish all seemed happy this morning, they were swimming about and exploring and they all ate when fed.
Jesssssh

plankton wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:41 am As an aside blackskirt tetras (and some of their skirted cousins) can actually get less problems when kept above 25C, as there is a protozoan that affects "skirt" tetras which doesn't like heat and allows the immune system to sort it out. (I haven't got a note on what the protozoan is, my affinity for noting detail was sadly lacking there I'm afraid, but there was an article in "PFK" about it a long time ago)
Not sure what PFK is, but looks like I'll be doing more reading! ;)
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1855 times
Been liked: 4438 times

@Jesssssh Practical Fish Keeping magazine.

*edited so I look less of a plonker!*
Martinspuddle

fr499y wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:57 am @Jesssssh Practicle Fish Keeping magazine.
'Practical' ...your typing too fast again @fr499y. :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1855 times
Been liked: 4438 times

Haha auto corrupt!! Practical crossed with particle!
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 367 times

Martinspuddle wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 21:53 pm
fr499y wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:57 am @Jesssssh Practicle Fish Keeping magazine.
Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. :laugh:
Martinspuddle

LookoutTrout wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 22:30 pm
Martinspuddle wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 21:53 pm
Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. :laugh:
Dodgy keyboard, that's my excuse. :grin: