Interesting pet in a 240l tank

Anything goes as long as its aquarium related.
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 367 times

Ever since I decomissioned the 240l tank and parked it in the porch my wife has been suggesting different things to fill it with.
Suggestions far have included mammals, reptiles, amphibians and fish but I think the main requirements are something pretty that will interact with her. She has now decided a puffer fish in the bedroom will be ideal, unfortuately I don't know which Disney film gave her the idea so I'm not sure what she's expecting.
I fancied a mixed biotope with a shelf siliconed in 2/3 of the way up to provide a shoreline and semi-aquatic creatures. A puffer sounds much easier and I can grow a food supply in my other tanks, so I'm now wondering if there's a fairly large and bright puffer that will beg for attention and be comfortable in a 240l tall tank.
My water supply is about 6dGH, I don't mind adding salt or other minerals but I'd rather not loads of faff with RO and continual hydrometer readings. I'm also not keen on external mixing but if it's unavoidable then I'll find a way.

So far a green spotted puffer looks favourite, are there any other choices worth considering (either other puffers or anything pretty and interactive)?
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4387 times
Been liked: 4045 times

I've never kept these but I do understand they can be kept in freshwater - link: Seriously fish - Tetraodon nigroviridis

That said, with a diet consisting of hard-shelled foods that these little Puffers like, I encourage everyone on the forum to send you their pest snails. :grin:
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

I have bladder snails in my shrimp tank but not my display tank, I'm expecting cross contamination at some point and thinking of doing it deliberately so I don't waste time trying not to do it iyswim.
If I had a puffer I might introduce ramshorn snails as they are bigger and easier to harvest, still scares me that I'd do that intentionally. Helpfully the LFS also sell them on their own rather than just being free gifts with every plant bought.

The fresh/salt question seems to be contentious, the most helpful thing I've read is they are used to salinity changing quickly as the tide goes in and out. I don't need to be too precious about water changes if I go down the brackish route.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1855 times
Been liked: 4438 times

I’d you want interesting and a puffer then you can’t beat a Pao suvattii. They get the nickname of potato puffer by oversea owners 😂
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

fr499y wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:16 am I’d you want interesting and a puffer then you can’t beat a Pao suvattii. They get the nickname of potato puffer by oversea owners 😂
I haven't seen that on any top 10 puffer videos, very interesting and makes piranha seem neat and friendly.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pao_suvattii
Wikipedia wrote:it's a dangerous fish which are both aggressive against both humans and other aquarium fishes.
These also sound worth a look from that article. - Ferocious Puffer and Fang's Puffer
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

I'm off on a tangent now, this looks really cute.
An extremely poisonous and aggressive pufferfish that is known to attack people, biting off chunks of flesh and even toes.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner

I won't lie, I did forget about the toxic part of the mekong puffer!
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Keeping a very dangerous fish appeals to me but buying one for my wife to pet might raise some eyebrows.
On a more sensible note ambush puffers are also known as pet rocks because they rarely move, I think any in that category can be discounted.

Amazon puffers are possible as they can be kept in a group but sedating with clove oil to clip their teeth isn't very appealing.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner

feeding cockles and plenty of snails tends to keep on top of their teeth.
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

I did some maths. A 10Kg tub of marine salt is £60 from a
fairly cheap online shop
and the instructions say to add 150g per US gallon. So I'm looking at half that for brackish 75g x 25gal = 1.87Kg per week @ £6 per Kg.
Freshwater varieties are looking more attractive.