mangrove plants

Request information on fish, corals or other marine aquarium issues.
algae
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 13 times

I've decided its time to combat the green and hair algae that's starting to build up in my tank. Its not too bad at the moment but I recon it will get worse if I don't do something about it. Apart from using 50% RO for water changes, using nitrate and phosphate remover pads, low lighting, and diet feeding I thought I'd ask your take on the benefit of mangrove plants. Are they worth considering? Any other suggestions to rid this stuff would be greatly appreciated.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1773 times
Been liked: 4164 times

Nope. Slowest growing plants you’ll ever have the pleasure of owning and do little to impact! If it’s marine then macro algae’s in a refugium is the way to go. If it’s freshwater then large fastest growing stem plants you can find.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1415 times
Been liked: 3407 times

I'm with Matt.

Algae can be caused by numerous things such as a too long a light period, too powerful lights and even over-feeding. Even if you have a planted aquarium you may be adding too much nutrients for the plants.
The best way to deal with issues (such as algae) is to find the cause and deal with it and not to throw in something in an attempt to combat the issue.

I had an algae issue (scenario) and my first thought was lighting. I cut back the lighting period to 7 hours and to when I was at home.
If you're home say from 5.00pm to 11.00pm then have the lights on then, the fish don't need lights but we do to see the fish.
Although it improved a little I looked for additional causes.
I also have live plants and was feeding the plants as per the instructions, it was too much, so I cut back (50%) on the amount of nutrients I was adding for the plants. This also helped.
Then I noticed algae was still near the front of the aquarium and on the front aquarium glass.
This happens to be where I feed the fish, so I cut back on the amount of fish feed I was putting in. Again this also helped.
In this scenario then the cause was a combination of too much light, too many nutrients for the plants and over-feeding the fish.

Some newcomers to the hobby will consult the internet or ask at a LFS. The general reply will be "use this product" after all the LFS wants a sale.
Adding chemicals does not fix the cause although it may temporarily fix or mask the issue.

All the best
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 13 x Cory sterbai 52 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)