Stephen's 550L tank log:

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3414 times

The LFS only had one 550mm tube so tested with one tube (alternated with existing tubes) to see if one tube had gone.
Didn't work.
So have ordered 3 tubes (buy 2 get 1 free) from iQuatics, should be here mid week.
If they don't work then it's a new light unit.

I have extended the lighting period on the other light unit (T5/LED).
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 11 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner

My new T5 tubes will be here on Thursday, I can then test the light unit properly, fingers crossed they work.

We took a trip to my favourite LFS today, some 65 miles away.
Surprisingly they had some good stock including African cichlids, south American cichlids, tetra, barbs, gourami, killifish, cory etc.. and some plecos.
They also had some Flash plecos (Panaqolus albivermis, L204) which were around 2 inches in size.
The manager was away today and away on hols next week.
The knowledgeable assistant manager recognised me and I asked if they could pick out a female Flash pleco then I'll be back in about 2 weeks time, I will phone first though.
We popped in to Gloucester Quays on the way back home, had lunch, Gill got her bargains and I got a new pair of shoes; so not a wasted trip.
I buy my shoes from Clarks because they are leather, lace ups, good grips (important with a dodgy back) and comfortable but won't pay £100 for shoes, the retail outlet was £69.00 (£30.00 off).
Gill got 2 x pairs of trouser (with pockets) from M&S outlet for £5.00, yes 2 pairs for £5.00. She loves her bargains.

We are both happy with our trip today :)
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 11 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner

The new T5 tubes arrived today, a day early.
The bad news is the new tubes did not work so the light unit is broken, well one of the ballasts don't work. ::damnit::

The light unit is a sealed unit but I'll have a go at taking it apart as a DIY project, nothing to loose.
Failing that then maybe take it to a local electrical works and if that doesn't work then it's a new light unit.
At least I have some spare 24 inch (550mm) T5 tubes.

Edit:
Spoke to an electrical wholesaler and no go with a repair but they suggested maybe a self DIY repair, they can supply a replacement ballast.
I have nothing to loose so will put my DIY hat on tomorrow.

Further Edit:
Looking at some YouTube videos, I'll buy a new light unit. ;)

Extra Edit:
New light unit ordered. ::thumbu::

Powered by EHEIM
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

That got expensive quickly. :(
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner

plankton wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 12:44 pm That got expensive quickly. :(
I know.
Getting a red hot blade to melt the sealant and all the faffing around needed to take the light unit apart put me off the DIY fix.
The new light unit comes with new tubes.
Hopefully I can upgrade to T5/LED tubes in the future using the new unit.
The T5/LED tubes would not work on this light unit but worked fine on the other which made me think the ballast was a bit dodgy in the first place.