Vampire crab paludrium help heater

Benjiboy13

I’m hoping someone can help me, I’ve built a paludrium for some vampire crabs, ok it’s not the biggest tank but I was told a 50litre would be fine, anyway I’ve made the water section and land. What I’m struggling with is finding a heater small enough to put in there without it becoming an issue, if I could find one I can put into the substrate base layer that would be great but I can’t find one, would a heat mat work? Ambient temp is 20c the water is 20c but needs to be 2 degrees warmer at a minimum, any help is appreciated, thanks

fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1773 times
Been liked: 4164 times

I wouldn't risk a heating mat as they can cause the glass to crack ( especially with the tank on top! ) As the tank is already setup, you could go with something like the TMC H2Therm presets, but they are preset to 25*C.
Benjiboy13

Would I be able to put that or one like that in with the clay balls? It’s the drainage medium I used, the water flows through it and the filter is at the rear of the tank in the corner, would that work?
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner

they would have to be fully submerged in water.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4220 times
Been liked: 3888 times

Greetings :] & welcome to AF-UK
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

Welcome to the forum. :)
I don't know of any heater that can't be partially out of the water, so any small heater of about 12w, maybe 15w should be enough. The enclosed ones (like @fr499y suggested) are best with crustaceans so they don't burn themselves.
Lo1
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 221 times

Welcome.
:swim: :swim2: :swim:

NACD OptiWhite Aquarium 140l,
F Zone Stainless Steel 15l filter,
Eheim powerLED+ fresh daylight,
Eheim powerLED+ fresh plants,
AI Nero 3 Powerhead,
Twinstar Nano Sterilizer,
Co2 Art PRO-SE.
Benjiboy13

Thanks for the welcome guys, I’m basically completely stuck for space in that tank now it’s set up, the water does get to 22 but only just, I know in winter it’s going to be too cold. The water only comes up I’d say 60mm tops, most of the heaters i find are like 120mm I’ve read they can’t be touching substrate etc. But if they can and can be half out of the water I think I could manage to slide it down the back, but it would only be half submerged I don’t really want to tear the tank apart to do it but maybe I’ll have too, and put it in a cage so the substrate isn’t touching it, but then if it fails it’s not going to be easy to get it out again lol I think If all goes well tho and the crabs are good and they mate I may well get a bigger set up and use the smaller for babies. I suppose time will tell
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

Polystyrene will help retain heat. Maybe a heat lamp above the tank?
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner

https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/zoo-me ... gI9yfD_BwE Something like that could work not sure if you can lay them down flat though?