Stephen's 550L tank log (summary & continuation)

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4220 times
Been liked: 3888 times

Stephen wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 17:27 pm
I need another 15x cory but different to the Corydoras agassizii, I'm thinking either Corydoras sychri, Corydoras atropersonatus, Corydoras fowleri, Corydoras loretoensis or Corydoras sp. C097.

The Corydoras fowleri is very similar to Corydoras coriatae, but it's the actual Corydoras fowleri that I'm interested in.
It's the rainy season in south America at present so some species may not be available until the dry season (November, December).

click to enlarge
Curiosity got to me as I'd not heard of Corydoras 'fowleri' before, so I thought I'd have a look around.
Stephen wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 17:27 pm If you see any of the above whilst on your travels please let me know, as long as the price is acceptable and not too expensive.

...I know it's just one online UK dealer I found listing these but think you might find these a tad on the expensive side for 15 fish @Stephen. Listings in the States have them at $35 - $40 per fish. :O
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1415 times
Been liked: 3407 times

Their address is:-
71 – 75 Shelton Street
Covent Garden
London, WC2H 9JQ

The same address as trigonectes on ebay and also aquasnack.co.uk (same as trigonectes on ebay).
The actual address belongs to https://www.thedesignfactory.co.uk.
I wouldn't trust any company that purely has only a postal box and not a building.
There is approx 2-3 week gap between ordering and delivery (according to trigonectes/aquasnack/aquafood), sounds so dodgy to me.

Thanks for looking Martin but I need an actual LFS with stock.
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 13 x Cory sterbai 52 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
SomersetMatt
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 46 times

Stephen wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:58 pm @SomersetMatt
SomersetMatt wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:30 am Hello Stephen, I love your diligence in researching and keeping the various species geographically precise.
I tend to stick to South American fish myself but I'm not quite as strict on their location, as long as they come from somewhere in the Amazon😅
How are you finding the Cupid Cichlids? They could hold some potential for me in my quest to find compatible species.
I'm guessing they're not too big or aggressive as you have them in with Embers.
Hi Matt

I've kept Cupid cichlids for several years. They will grow to a little over 4 inches when fully grown.
They are not aggressive towards corydoras or tetra, but will bicker amongst themselves when setting up territories or pairing up.
I have 9 x juvenile Cupids and when they pair up then I will reduce the numbers. I have an agreement with the LFS who supplied them that they'll take the non-paired back.
I have two pre-prepared potential spawning sites ready for when they do pair up.
One site is at the far left, back corner and the other is on the far right, back corner.
I have buried a large flat stone in each corner, the cichlids will clean the spawning site before laying eggs, but that is quite a long way off, maybe another year or so.
I have purposely kept the potential spawning site clear of plants (this time) so that I can observe any spawning activity in the future.
I may add some shorter mid-ground plants just to camouflage the potential spawning area in the near future.

This 550L aquarium is looking quite bare at present but it's only been days since I totally re-vamped it earlier this week.
The plants need to establish, grow and fill out. I also want to add another corydoras species and maybe another tetra species, although I may increase the Ember tetra numbers.

They look lovely and thanks for the detailed reply.
I've been doing a bit of research on them (I'd honestly never heard of them before I'd had a look at your log), and they seem perfect for my community tank of Cardinals, Otto's and Bristlenoses.

The only snag is the pair of Bolivian Rams I've got, I could see that potentially ending in disaster! They've spawned a few times although I've never been able to raise the fry successfully, I'm not sure how they'd tolerate other Cichlid species in their territory!
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1415 times
Been liked: 3407 times

@SomersetMatt
SomersetMatt wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:59 am They look lovely and thanks for the detailed reply.
I've been doing a bit of research on them (I'd honestly never heard of them before I'd had a look at your log), and they seem perfect for my community tank of Cardinals, Otto's and Bristlenoses.

The only snag is the pair of Bolivian Rams I've got, I could see that potentially ending in disaster! They've spawned a few times although I've never been able to raise the fry successfully, I'm not sure how they'd tolerate other Cichlid species in their territory!
I like the Bolivian rams and have kept them previously (maybe 5 years or so ago).
Your Juwel 450 is virtually a 5 foot aquarium, so plenty of space.
I always consider allowing 2 foot for south American cichlid territory whether medium-sized cichlids such as my Cupid cichlids or smaller-sized Apisto cichlids.
Another peaceful cichlid worth considering is the Keyhole cichlid (Cleithracara maronii) which I have also previously kept (6 years ago).

My actual photo of a male (click to enlarge)
Stock photo

The Keyhole cichlid (Cleithracara maronii) will lay eggs on a flat stone, you only need a flat stone of around 3-4 inches.
A nice pair of Keyhole cichlids would probably work with your Bolivian rams as would a pair of Apistos such as the Apistogramma cacatuoides which @Gingerlove05 also keeps.
A single pair of Bolivian rams are being spoilt with all that space.

If you want to successfully breed the Bolivian rams then a separate breeding tank with no other fish is advisable.
A sand substrate with one or two flatish stones, a piece of driftwood or even flatish leaves for spawning sites.
Bolivian rams are biparental where they both look after the eggs and young.

All the best
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 13 x Cory sterbai 52 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)