Otocinclus Catfish

Chappers15

Hi, lm looking to get 6 otos for my aquarium. I’ve done research and found some very contrasting information, some suggesting that they’re durable fish, and others saying they’ll die instantly.

I have a 12 gal tank with 2 dwarf Sagittaria and a Cryptocoryne and plenty of algae. I will also supplement their diet with wafers and vegetables. Will this be enough for them or should I look into getting different fish?

Thanks
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1785 times
Been liked: 4202 times

both are true. Most ( if not all ) are wild caught and will either die in a few days/weeks when added to the tank, or live a long and happy life.
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 696 times
Been liked: 1686 times

I've not heard of captive bred Oto's as they're difficult to breed. Gill on here has managed it. The key to them being successful is a full stomach when you buy them, be selective with your shop if they're not looking full or they are sunken. As they're wild caught, for long term success soft water helps.
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4244 times
Been liked: 3908 times

....also, the larger the group the better. They are found in their hundreds in the wild. :]

WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
martin rick
Been liked: 2 times

I've very recently introduced 2 as the first fish in my refurbished aquarium. Both seem to be fit and well and enjoying the abundant algae. The tank's about 75 litres and I've read that they're better off in larger groups, but there were just 2 in the shop.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3409 times

I have had 8 Otos for around 5 years or so now.
I introduced another 12 Otos about 2-3 months ago, 10 of which survive today (so lost 2), I have 18 Otos in total.
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)