Pleasant surpise!

Viviparous or Live bearing fish - Mollies, Platties, Guppies
Jon_D
Posting Legend
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 774 times

Despite the Kabul thread, I haven’t been neglecting my fish family. During feeding last week I noticed a bit of red food gently floating to one side. After a few (actually many) moments it dawned on me that there is no piece of my fish food which could be construed that colour. In addition it was obviously acting contrary to the Laws of Physic in that it was floating against the current. This intrigued me and closer observation revealed that it is in fact a teeny, tiny baby Platy (I guess). I know that I had a male swordtail in the CT for many months and prior to his decease, he was interested in a girl Platy, having been rebuffed by girl swordtails. Hence my guess. This is interesting as the water is technically far from that in which such species would reproduce, being less hard than required. I hope he/she will survive as it has managed so far, and it keeps out of the way of the CT companions. :rolleyes:
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5443 times
Been liked: 2668 times

They will breed whenever they get the chance :)
Hopefully she (they all start off female ;)) does well for you
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5048 times
Been liked: 3422 times

Ah, like @Gingerlove05 you're breeding plattails and sworties, eh? ;) :)
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5443 times
Been liked: 2668 times

plankton wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:48 am Ah, like @Gingerlove05 you're breeding plattails and sworties, eh? ;) :)
I was trying to remember which way round it was :D
I think swordtail dad and platy mum we decided was a sworty. Platy dad and swordtail mum was a plattail :D
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
Jon_D
Posting Legend

Yet another teeny weeny Sworty and/or Plattail survives! This one is the absolute spitting image of the dad (now sadly deceased) black body and reddish head and tail. It amazes me that they have survived in the CT; at least they must be getting enough grub as they seem lively enough. I have dropped some Protogen into the area of the tank where they seem to be currently living. We'd better decide what to call them. Plattail or Sworty. I like Plattail.
There's a young guy on YouTube who insists on calling the Swordtail, by prounoincing the "W". Drives me nuts! :s
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5048 times
Been liked: 3422 times

If dad was a swordy then they're sworties. (like liger and tigon)
Jon_D
Posting Legend

"If dad was a swordy then they're sworties. (like liger and tigon)"..... dad was a pure blood. fully paid up Swordtail. :D
Art
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 105 times

Sometimes you are happy when a new fish appears and you don't know where from.
I have 6 pieces of panda garra. There are still 4 Corydoras in it.
A year ago I still had aphyosemion gardneri there, but I removed them all back then. I know that Gardneri juveniles still appear after months because eggs are left lying around somewhere.
But it's been too long. It cannot be a gardneri. It also looks a little different. Is it a youth stage of panda garra? I'm curious about that.
Jon_D
Posting Legend

@Art Sometimes I am not so happy when new fish appear, especially wth my Pepper Cories! 3 years ago I originally had a little shoal of 6 happy Cories. Very soon they boomed up to 18 (my own fault as I took the eggs off the front of the tank and nurtured them in a Nursery Tank !) But I managed to get rid of 12 to local fish keepers. Now I see that in addition to the little Sworties (!), there are now an additional 2 Cories. Pretty soon the CT will be again oerpopulated! But I will be interested to see hope the little ones you have discovered turn out.
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

My fry have been mainly cichlids, and it’s a special sight to see a cloud of a thousand fry, much smaller than livebearers, hovering between two planet sized parents in fullest colour. But it’s still just as special to see a new livebearer fry. Even if it is a gupptail, or a mollplat, or whatever.