Tissue Culture (variety issues) vs Traditional (snail issues) - Advice needed!

Vlowman
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 5 times

Hi all,

New in these parts - all advice appreciated.

I’m in the process of upgrading from a 24 litre PetsAtHome mistake to a 125 Fluval Roma - going from a tank full of plastic to, hopefully, a planted tank. Currently the new tank is in the process of cycling, while my fish (danios, plattys and electric blue rams) remain in the smaller tank for now.

With stock lights, which I believe fall into the ‘low’ light category, no additional CO2, and the intention of doing the best I can with root tabs and liquid fertiliser (rather than aqua soil), I resolved to go with relatively easy to grow plants - Amazon sword, crypts, bacopa caroliniana. I probably would have rounded that out with Java Fern and Anubias, but don’t yet have an hard scape figured out to stick things to yet.

The problem is that I wanted to get tissue culture plants (Tropica 12 Gro) because the lack of snails, algae, disease etc sounds great - especially since after half a dozen YouTube videos I can’t find any one size fits all way that causes no plant damage to ensure that I don’t get any snails in the tank, if I go the traditional route.

However, in the 12 Gro range, once you rule out all the medium/hard to grow plants, and carpeting plants - there isn’t that much to choose from: bacopa, three types of crypts and something called helanthium bolivianum. Can’t even get an Amazon sword!

What should I do? Bite the bullet and get regular plants? I really don't want snails but I'm not confident about what to do about that.

Meanwhile, while I didn't find this on their website, I did find this in a description of an Amazon Sword item sold by Aqua Essentials via Amazon:

"ALGAE FREE - due to the way these aquarium plants are kept, they are algae and snail free. Whilst this is not a cast iron guarantee (only tissue culture can offer this) all the pots are kept above the water line which minimises any algae or snails."

Can I ask what you think? Is this a good middle ground? Are there any suppliers you would recommend that do this kind of thing?

Thanks so much - apologies for the long post.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Greetings :] & welcome to AF-UK

Tropica and Aquafleur do a range plants in dry pack, pots and tissue culture. All Tropica plants are grown in a pest free environment, so you can be sure of no snails or other pests. I get mine from Aqua Essentials (link below)

Here's a video with George Farmer on how Tropica grow their aquarium plants.

aqua essentials
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 337 times

Most aquarium plants are grown in nurseries like normal plants out of the water. If they are shipped directly to you they should be snail free. The bonus snails get added when your LFS puts the plants in their display tank.
I didn't know about this so got the free gift of bladder snails and MTS from my local shop. I gave up trying to pick them out and bought a few Nerite snails instead, they do a great job of clean up and keep the other snails numbers low.
You'll never stop all algae and there are loads of ways to keep it at bay, there's a lot to learn if you want a balanced tank. I try to keep it simple with inert substrate and water column ferts only, that helps but it can still get complicated and six websites will tell you six different things.
Lo1
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 223 times

Welcome to the forum.
:swim: :swim2: :swim:

NACD OptiWhite Aquarium 140l,
F Zone Stainless Steel 15l filter,
Eheim powerLED+ fresh daylight,
Eheim powerLED+ fresh plants,
AI Nero 3 Powerhead,
Twinstar Nano Sterilizer,
Co2 Art PRO-SE.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3414 times

Vlowman wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 19:17 pm

What should I do? Bite the bullet and get regular plants? I really don't want snails but I'm not confident about what to do about that.
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I don't have snails in my aquariums, this is mainly due to where I buy my plants.

I have a plant substrate (Tropica plant sunstrate) at a depth of 1cm under 3-5cm of aquarium sand (Unipac Samoa fine sand), the sand looks natural and is good for my fish, south American cichlids and corydoras.
The plant substrate helps to anchor and feed the roots, Amazon swords are a root hungry plant.

Where do I buy my plants?
The plants I buy are great quality and come chemical free and 99% snail free.
I always rinse my plants under running water and trim the roots before planting.
Here is where I buy my plants (click on name for link to website).
Aquarium Gardens
Aqua Essentials
Pro Shrimp

I also bought my Tropica plant substrate and Unipac Samoa fine sand from Pro Shrimp.
For a 125L aquarium you only require a 2.5L bags of Tropica plant substrate (Link) and 15kg of Unipac Samoa fine sand (Link)

This would be a great set up which can easily be built on by your preferred decor (rocks, wood) and plants.

All the best
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 11 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)