My berried shrimp.

mikeyboy123
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 46 times

So, this was what went on today whilst I was at work. Anything in particular I need to do or just let it all take it’s course. How long until I’ve got baby shrimp? I’ll be purring a filter bag around the filter inlet and will be dropping some blanched veggies in.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1773 times
Been liked: 4164 times

Sit back and wait till she drops them 😁 nothing needs to be done
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4220 times
Been liked: 3888 times

The female carry the eggs for approximately about 25-29 days depending on water parameters after which they hatch. The eggs can be either yellow or green in colour. The 'shrimplets' are very tiny, near clear in colour when first hatched and virtually impossible to spot in a aquarium. Adult Neocaridina shrimp show no parental care after hatching and the tiny shrimp mainly feed on biofilm which is naturally found around your aquarium.

You may find some young shrimp in your filter but I found time and time again it doesn't harm them and I just return them to aquarium after lights out. Usually find you will start seeing the young shrimp around the aquarium once the get to around three to four weeks old. :]
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
mikeyboy123

Thanks for the replies. I’ve got 8 chilli rasboras in the same tank. Do you think they’ll eat the baby shrimp? If so, at what age do you think the baby shrimp will be too big to be viewed as a meal by the chillis?
Martinspuddle

If it's small enough fit into a fishes mouth, it will be eaten.

I wouldn't worry too much about your Chilli Rasboras, once they start breeding and conditions are right, you'll soon be overrun with shrimp.

This high tech setup had thirty Lambchop Rasbora (Trigonostigma espei) and twenty Cherry Shrimp.

Eighteen months later when the aquarium was broken down, we gave up counting Cherry Shrimp after we got to 300 adults and we still hadn't counted all the baby shrimp! ::wtf::
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mikeyboy123

Okay, so a lot wil get eaten but many will still survive. I have at least 3 more reasonably large females with saddles, so I guess I can expect quite a few more. I’ll be giving shrimp away!
mikeyboy123

Got loads of shrimp now. 2 big females have been taking it in turns so it seems like there’s a new batch every few weeks. Amazing how quickly the babies grow as well. The chilli rasboras haven’t shown any interest in them at all. May have to start giving some away!
Martinspuddle

mikeyboy123 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:37 pm Got loads of shrimp now. 2 big females have been taking it in turns so it seems like there’s a new batch every few weeks. Amazing how quickly the babies grow as well. The chilli rasboras haven’t shown any interest in them at all. May have to start giving some away!
You won't see the Chilli Rasbora eating the adult Shrimp. But they will eat the newly hatched Shrimplets which isn't such a bad thing as it keeps the population in check and only the fittest Shrimp will survive. :]
mikeyboy123

Yeah, maybe they are getting some of the shrmplets without me noticing.