Harlequin rasbora - Gravid or Bloated?

Barbs, Danios, Rasboras, Sharks, Golfish, Koi.
firsttime_rio125
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Hello,
I have my harlequin's since a month. 2 weeks ago we noticed that some had a little bloated tummy. I checked the forums and understood that it's either going to lay eggs or could be sick. We gave them peas and it was gone in 2 days. Again we noticed and it was again gone in a few days.
We have started a weekly food routine - flakes 4 times, peas 2 time and blood worms once. We only feed once in the morning to be sure that it's not the food which is the reason for the bloating. We are also not seeing any fry. So we are not sure what's happening.
Has any one noticed something similar?

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3422 times

I think it is a female, but a very greedy one, looks like she's grabbing a lot of food.
May be worth cutting down the amount you feed, even though you only feed once a day.
My guide to feeding small fish is think of their stomachs as the size of their eye and feed accordingly. It's better to have them a bit hungry than overfull all the time. :)
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4244 times
Been liked: 3908 times

Like all Rasbora family, Trigonostigma heteromorpha are very greedy fish and is possible to over fed them leading to other issues, such as algae outbreaks in the aquarium or water quality problems. These fish in the wild only find when it's available and grab what they can not knowing when the next meal will come along.

As @plankton has suggested, I'd reduce their food intake. I only fed my fish three days in a week.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
firsttime_rio125
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Thanks for the guidance. We have reduced the food and varying the diet (included peas, bloodworms). They seems to be back in shape :)
Art
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 105 times

The wedge-spotted barbel spawns on the underside of spoon-like Cryptocorin leaves. They swim belly up and stick the eggs on.
If fed well, they will also spawn under green plastic strips (from the desk pad).