Pleasant surpise!

Viviparous or Live bearing fish - Mollies, Platties, Guppies
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

That looks like an axolotl....not sure I've ever seen a young newt. :)
Jon_D
Posting Legend
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 774 times

When will this end? I have spotted yet aniother baby "Platail"/Swordy" making this 5 unexpected and unwanted additions!
The tally of babies is now, 2 black, 2 red and one which is red with a black tail. As "@Gingerlove05 mentioned earlier, the female just seems to continue dropping offspring. :angel:
I guess this is one of the disadvantages of having a well planted tank. As a warning to others, I had just one male Swordtail (who died a few weeks ago) and one female Platy plus one female Wagtail Sword. It seems the male "had" them both before he pegged out.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1773 times
Been liked: 4164 times

Jon_D wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:06 am When will this end? I have spotted yet aniother baby "Platail"/Swordy" making this 5 unexpected and unwanted additions!
The tally of babies is now, 2 black, 2 red and one which is red with a black tail. As "@Gingerlove05 mentioned earlier, the female just seems to continue dropping offspring. :angel:
I guess this is one of the disadvantages of having a well planted tank. As a warning to others, I had just one male Swordtail (who died a few weeks ago) and one female Platy plus one female Wagtail Sword. It seems the male "had" them both before he pegged out.
Thats livebearers for you! My endlers seem to breed before their colours have fully developed! I don't mind though as that was always the plan for this tank.
Jon_D
Posting Legend

How quickly do these little buggas mature? I have 2 of them (only a few millimetres long and 3 weeks old) already fighting! Chasing each other in circles, trying to eat each others tail! Dear Lord, please don't say they are trying to breed ALREADY! I cannot transfer them into another tank either as they are too damn fast!.
Maybe I'll have top get the chip pan out and plonk it in front of the CT to give them a hint to behave.
Last edited by Jon_D on Tue Oct 12, 2021 16:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1773 times
Been liked: 4164 times

Yup, most likely :)
Jon_D
Posting Legend

@fr499y " I don't suppose dropping Bromide into the CT is any use, to curb their carnal desires.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

Livebearers can hold about 8 sets of sperm sacs, so they'll be dropping for almost a year...... ;)
Jon_D
Posting Legend

@plankton " Livebearers can hold about 8 sets of sperm sacs, so they'll be dropping for almost a year" That's terrible!. One bonk, and then all these babies! What was Mother Nature thinking?
I'm off to Dover to nick one of those dinghies left over by immigrants. Then France. My fish are breeding me out of home and country. :blush:
Jon_D
Posting Legend

The mummy of the above babies. The Wagtail Sword is really a very pretty fish. (That's the red one LOL.)
I am just about getting the hang of the camera speed and aperture setings;
(Please ignore the green algae, it's about to get cleaned.)

black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 1387 times

That’s actually a really nice picture. Kinda old fashioned looking, like the old books (obviously what you were going for ;) )