Please Help Zebra Tipapia Cichlid

black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 1387 times

He’s still here and no new lesions. Those are two very good signs.

You’d be surprised (maybe not) how long a big fish can go without food. Maybe he’s now healing and will eat soon. Buy a bottle of vitamins and give him a squirt as per instructions. Seavita is good, others are presumably available.

There’s one more treatment I know of that has been known to cure HITH, and that is simply moving the fish to a completely different environment. Different tank, different water (meaning the fish has never been in it), different mature filter, heater, everything. Literally nothing from his tank except him.
I think sometimes there can be a stressor that we can’t test for, that isn’t present in another tank. I’ve known of a few walls in a few rooms where fish never do well, but when the tank is moved, say, to the opposite wall they thrive.
Houses are awash with electromagnetic fields from all the wiring and devices, for example. Does this affect fish? I’d say probably. Sometimes just moving a fish can make a big difference.
Cassie
Been liked: 9 times

Thanks Black Ghost. I'll leave the light off for longer each day. Re the live food, it assuredly is a quandary. I obviously associate with people who are not vegetarian and I'm able to disassociate from that. My value's are my own and I do not preach to others, excepting for wanton cruelty. The fish shop assured me that as larvae they do not feel pain and I choose to remain ignorant and to be honest I think they were more dead in the bag than alive, but that just might be my inappropriate rationalisation for feeding them. That said I'll keep my hippie dippie tofu views off site, and I honestly do take your point :) as I do worm my dogs and kill the fly's that eat their ears in the summer. I'm also trying to feed him by association previous 'alive' fish. I'm going to take your advise and purchase some aquarium snails as my heart belongs with this personality fish that I have owned now for a very long time, and hopefully let nature be nature. My loyalty and affection unreservedly lies with him, and if it's a matter of 'Sophie's choice' then bring on the snails. I'll get some tomorrow and let you know how it goes. As for worms are you talking regular earth worms? We really do appreciate your input and advise, and I'll let you know how it goes. This fish is making me go grey but whatever it takes :)
We really do appreciate your taking the time and trouble for us. Thank you.
Cassie

Black Fish, just seen your other post as it was on a different page :) The problems began when we moved, just over 18 months ago and there were lots of 'issues' therein. I'll buy the vitamins tomorrow as well as the snails. Someone is selling a nice 6ft tank for £400 so in for a penny as they say. I had thought about a new tank for him anyhow. Grey and destitute, oh well :) but at least I've tried everything then.
black ghost
Posting Legend

The problems began when you moved... which could be the position of the tank?

Try a smallish worm, 2 or 3 inches. An active one if you can. And small snails.
Last edited by black ghost on Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

black ghost wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 21:52 pm The problems began when you moved... which could be the position of the tank?

Try a smallish worm, 2 or 3 inches. And small snails.
Or a change of water supply maybe from the move?
black ghost
Posting Legend

plankton wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:22 am
black ghost wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 21:52 pm The problems began when you moved... which could be the position of the tank?

Try a smallish worm, 2 or 3 inches. And small snails.
Or a change of water supply maybe from the move?
Something out of the tap... metals? Copper? Cassie do you always dechlorinate?

PolyFilter would probably sort that out, and would show what it was, if there was a large presence of anything untoward.
Cassie

Always use dechlorinater when changing the water. Water quality checked (Regularly) and all O.K. Went to the fish shop and they do not do the type of snails he might eat, only pond snails and advised he wouldn't eat those. Also suggested earth worms, or another live fish which is definitely a bridge too far for me. They did offer to house him for me as they would try things I assuredly would not, but I really don't think that's the solution for him, but it was nice for them to offer all the same. His age was brought up again, but that's not a game changer for me. I'll keep going for now while he's still with me there's always hope. Time will tell.
I'll bite the bullet tomorrow and try an earth worm. Thank you again from me and him.
Cassie

I'm just taking this opportunity to thank everyone, especially Black Ghost for their insight and assistance with 'Grumps' (my fish). It was truly appreciated. Regrettably he passed on Christmas Day. Whilst I appreciate he might have been old I still could not give up until he did. He never seemed unduly distressed and I take comfort from that. He had a big personality and I miss him. He never resumed eating from the day he stopped which was literally months ago. So I'll bid you all farewell from both of us.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1773 times
Been liked: 4164 times

Aww sorry to hear.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4220 times
Been liked: 3888 times

Sorry to hear of your loss.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: