Water parameters

The science behind successful fishkeeping.
Confusedpanda22
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Hi All.
For an update, I bought ammonia and added it as per instructions. Did that for about 3 days adding it each day.
Then I realised I need to know how much ammonia is in the tank as adding everyday could lead to problems if it's not getting dealt with.
So I'm waiting for an ammonia testing kit and stopped adding it.
It's only been a week but my tank water isn't showing any changes on the test kits and I noticed today is identical to the water out the tap. I seem to have some nitrates in the tap water. Not seen any evidence of Nitrite yet.
Does all that sound right to you guys?
Thanks
Tom
Mossyboy
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 92 times

How I did it the first time. (I do it different now)

Add the ammonia as per instructions to get 4ppm
Test for ammonia every 24hrs and keep testing.
When it drops add ammonia to bring it up to 2ppm (do not just add ammonia every day, only when it needs it.
Now also test for Nitrite every couple of days.
Eventually the ammonia drops and the nitrite rises, (this will take awhile, maybe some weeks) keep dosing the ammonia up to 2ppm
Now test every day for ammonia and nitrite, when the nitrite starts to drop start testing for nitrate.
Also test the PH in case of a PH crash.
Once your ammonia and nitrite are being processed clear for at LEAST 2 days (better for 3) your nitrates should be really high and your tank should be almost cycled.
Do a massive water change (I did 90%) this will get rid of the high nitrates, refill with dechlorinated water and away you go.
Keep testing for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate daily just incase.
When cycled add your fish a few at a time OR keep topping the ammonia to 2 ppm to keep the tank cycled till you can add fish.
Hope this makes sense and helps.
Confusedpanda22
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

That helps massively thanks a lot.
I think once I get the ammonia test I will be able to carry on as you have said. It's not easy this cycling and takes a lot of patience.
Will be worth it when it's done.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

The nitrates in the tap water will be why you already have nitrate in the tank even though you have had no nitrite yet.
Unless your heavily planted you may find that you will always have some nitrate, as long as it low levels.
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1415 times
Been liked: 3407 times

Many members use the API Freshwater Master Test Kit which is a liquid tesr kit that tests for pH, high pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
At around £26 the API test kit will last for maybe 3 years so it's not expensive long-term.

425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 13 x Cory sterbai 52 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)