New house - water, drainage, elec for fish tank

Aquarium Decor, DIY and Equipment.
a1154
Been liked: 3 times

Hi, many daft questions follow…..
I currently have a 5ft Malawi tank. Water changes are done old skool with a siphon and bucket (PITA).
For my new build house, I will have an alcove but about 8ft, in case I want a bigger tank in the future. Also thinking of viewing from the other side of the wall as well (but not with this tank as it’s a blue back).
In this situation, what would you have and where would you put the electricity and water and drainage? Would you just go for cold water? What sort of apparatus would I need for the drainage? Has anyone done this sort of thing?
thanks in advance.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1773 times
Been liked: 4164 times

For drainage it al depends on the setup. I’ve seen people with a drain from their sump, gate valve and piped straight through the wall to an outside drain.
a1154
Been liked: 3 times

I’ve no sump just the 5ft tank.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4220 times
Been liked: 3888 times

a1154 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:30 am Water changes are done old skool with a siphon and bucket (PITA). What sort of apparatus would I need for the drainage?
Unless your going to have the aquariums drilled with purpose fitted automatic waterchange system, I suggest a PYTHON No Spill Water Changer.

PYTHON No Spill Water Changer - Amazon
a1154 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:30 am Would you just go for cold water?
With a Python no spill or equivalent, use a mixer tap or if you don't have a mixer, use a tee connector from both taps.
a1154 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:30 am In this situation, what would you have and where would you put the electricity and water and drainage?
I'd install all electrics in a built in cupboard nearby the aquariums or under one of the cabinets well away from any water making sure all cables have dip loops.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Drifty
Posting Legend
Has liked: 2115 times
Been liked: 761 times

I do mine just using a Siphon and a bucket for three reason one is the work out helps to keep fit, two I know what coming out and what going in and three I can treat the water before it even goes in the tank. as for socket don't put them too low about 2ft from the floor is good that way you can have leads as a loop(hanging) in case water comes down the leads.
Create Not Hate
Martinspuddle

Drifty wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 13:02 pm I do mine just using a Siphon and a bucket for three reason one is the work out helps to keep fit
Just you wait till you get older @Drifty and have a larger aquarium ...trust me you won't using buckets! :grin:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 337 times

I've been thinking about something similar but have a couple of bits I haven't worked out.
Draining is fine, I can do it by gravity with the end of the hose at just the right height over the sink so it doesn't remove too much water.
How do I treat the water going in?
How do I get the temperature right? This may need to wait until I've had plumbing work done so hot and cold are both high pressure systems and I can fit a thermostatic tap.

Am I being too fussy about treatment and temperature?
Martinspuddle

I have a small mark on the kitchen mixer tap which when set, the water comes through the Python at 75°c.

Just remember to add dechlorinator before refilling. :]