Black Pond Fish.

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your ponds.
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 696 times
Been liked: 1686 times

Hi folks. Just been cleaning out my pond for the first time as I discovered 4 black fish, very similar in appearance to the goldfish. Any idea what these see likely to be?

No picture I'm afraid, it's impossible!
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

Could be koi, or tench… how black is black? And what size?
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

They could be tench, I hope not. Pond isn't big enough from a quick look. I'll try to net one.

They're similar in shape to the goldfish, I was trying to work out if they have a mild orange to their sides. I think I remember my parents going black when I was a kid due to ammonia. Is that a thing?
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

Goldfish are born greeny brown, and a few stay that colour. They can get very dark against a dark bottom. Ammonia is always likely in spring in a small pond with fish and no mature filter.
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Ok, thank you. I want to give it a deep clean in the next week or so, so I should be able to get a better look.

There is also a ghost Koi on there, need to find it a new home. Pond is way too small. I hope it's not 4 tench aswell.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

BigBen wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 14:26 pm Hi folks. Just been cleaning out my pond for the first time as I discovered 4 black fish, very similar in appearance to the goldfish. Any idea what these see likely to be?

No picture I'm afraid, it's impossible!
Known in the trade as 'Bronze Goldfish' they have a beautiful bronze shine about when viewed in a aquarium, although there has always been some contention of whether or not these are actually the original wild colour.

I had a few in my old pond. :]

Image Image

Image Image
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

That's the buggers! Thanks.

The Ghost Koi is going to live in my Uncles Pond tomorrow, so that is a problem easily solved. I still think there is too many fish for the size, but I'll get him to have a good look and take a few lessons from him tomorrow.

I like having a pond and the fact it's come free with the house is great, but I'd have loved to started it from scratch myself. Feels like a big responsibility without entirely knowing how to look after them properly. You learn a lot starting from scratch.

Thanks for your help guys 👍
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 438 times
Been liked: 844 times

BigBen wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 20:57 pm That's the buggers! Thanks.

The Ghost Koi is going to live in my Uncles Pond tomorrow, so that is a problem easily solved. I still think there is too many fish for the size, but I'll get him to have a good look and take a few lessons from him tomorrow.

I like having a pond and the fact it's come free with the house is great, but I'd have loved to started it from scratch myself. Feels like a big responsibility without entirely knowing how to look after them properly. You learn a lot starting from scratch.

Thanks for your help guys 👍
Yea as above, all baby goldfish are born brown/ black/ dark. Helps them camouflage and evade predators. At 6 months to 3 years their colours can develop and change as they grow. I've got all colourful adult goldfish (and some koi) but 90% plus of the babies still look dark. I've only got 2 that have started becoming colouful. A white and yellow one and a black one with an orange head. Sure they will change fully as they mature (currently 1.5-2" long). I've got 2 babies that survived from previous years and are now probably 2 years old and are like the picture. Broze/ dark brown on top with a white belly. They're now 4-5".

Not sure why they haven't become more colourful. Food, sunlight, water conditions and genetics all play their part I believe.

Just enjoy watching them grow.