Any suggestions?

RandomTeaPig
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 84 times

Any suggestions?

Post by RandomTeaPig »

So my tanks currently look like this. Im after some suggestions for a plant or plants for the bigger tank with sand in it.
I ideally want to cover the heater on the right hand side as i think it just looks ugly. I dont really want to go crazy and overplant the tank though as it got a open and clean kind if feel to it. Iv just harshly cut all the mossy stuff on the wood back as it grew like crazy and i kinda want to force it cover the wood rather grow upwards. However that said i do feel the fish would benefit from plants.

Thanks for any suggestions

dh 18

Staffylover
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1725 times
Been liked: 1465 times

Re: Any suggestions?

Post by Staffylover »

Limnophila sessiliflora is a good fast growing stem plant, Also I really like Ludwigia Repens there is a mini super red version for extra colour, I think it will depend if you use liquid ferts or are happy to use root tabs, also some fish will eat soft leaved plants so it depends what you stock, I see you have a happy looking Amazon Sword plant in the other tank how about one of those?
500l 2m - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6873
340l 4ft - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewto ... =15&t=6914
Fluval 125l - holding tank for fish I am not sure what to do with.
40l Kitchen - Espei Rasbora, Tiger Badis.
50l overspill - Albino Cory, X-ray tetra.

fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1273 times
Been liked: 3038 times

Post by fr499y »

Tiger lotus
Aponogeton ulvaceus
Crinum calamistratum

All three are bulbs and grow pretty quickly and tall/wide. Would look great in the center

RandomTeaPig

Post by RandomTeaPig »

I do like the swords. I may move one to see how it looks. I tend to add a fertiliser every few days.
A tiger lotus sounds interesting. Will deffo research the bulbs as never considered having bulbs
dh 18

VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 729 times
Been liked: 1585 times

Post by VikingMummy2015 »

Cryptocoryne ballansae has done the trick for me. Better growth than vallis ever gave me but still neatly defined.
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 6 cherry barbs, 5 Otocinclus, 4 sterbai Cory, 11 standard rummynose, 4 golden rummynose tetra, 7 Congo tetra, 6 emperor tetra

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.

black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 903 times

Post by black ghost »

One of my favourite plants is Indian Fern. It’ll grow planted or floating, and it’s paleness provides a nice contrast. Another is the Tiger Lotus, for a bit of colour.
Your Sword will grow more in a deeper substrate. They’re heavy root feeders that grow a root system as big as a houseplant’s. They grow for fun with buried root tablets.

Hayden Gord
Has liked: 12 times

Post by Hayden Gord »

Very clean and heavenlike your setup is. I think you just need to keep it clean and good for your pet health.

RandomTeaPig

Post by RandomTeaPig »

Hi so i purchased and couple of red tiger lotus bulbs.
I feel its a lost cause as after a month of finding them all around the tank as my mollies seem to enjoy playing with them there has been zero growth and one started growing a nice thick white coat.
Iv binned them both and decided to try and purchase a tiger that has already starting it journey.
For some reason the sword i tried in my bigger tank never really settled so that took a trip to the bin as well.
Im thinking sessiliflora may be the next attempt or slme indian fern. Kinda depends what i can get my hands on locally.
My two crypts i added are crazy healthy though 👌
dh 18