Tank upgrade queries

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
nick1982
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Tank upgrade queries

Post by nick1982 »

Just and update, I managed to successfully move the small tank by lowering the water level significantly and then sliding it onto a wooden board.

This was a very tense process and the Platy's were not best pleased, I have been trying to leave them to chill a bit since. Funnily enough the alpha of the 3 tends to get the most stressed in maintenance situations.

I cut a bit of tablecloth underlay/liner to size and have the new aquarium in place (thanks @BigBen ). I used my gravel vac to try and clean the substrate but still have a layer of dust floating on top of water.

As I go away on holiday this Saturday I am erring on the side of keeping the fish/shrimps in the old slightly overcrowded tank until I get back. I am just nervous about leaving them in a brand new tank, albeit with old filter running.

Does this sound the logical? I just think the current tank has plenty of algae, plants, bacteria etc to keep things going for 5 days even if the new tank has way more space.

nick1982

Post by nick1982 »

Also just to add, I have a separate container with Guppy grass and a bit of java moss in it which I sometimes top up with old aquarium water.

is there any benefit to me putting all these plants into the new aquarium even if only on a temporary basis?

I know once the fish are in the plants can absorb some toxins.

Once I move the fish over I have several wood pieces with java moss grown on them to add as well as a java fern on wood and a moss ball which can all transfer over.

Sorry for all the questions! I'm just paranoid and struggle to decide the best strategy!

LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 188 times

Post by LookoutTrout »

The old tank is less likely to have problems while you are away, I'd keep it as it is for a while.
I keep some aquatic plants in vases on the windowsill and have found they can use all the nitrate up pretty quickly, they might be better off in the new aquarium with more water to feed from.

nick1982

Post by nick1982 »

LookoutTrout wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:49 am The old tank is less likely to have problems while you are away, I'd keep it as it is for a while.
I keep some aquatic plants in vases on the windowsill and have found they can use all the nitrate up pretty quickly, they might be better off in the new aquarium with more water to feed from.
Thanks, I think you're right regarding less problems. I regularly see the fish nibbling at the glass, I haven't scraped the algae off the back or sides for ages.

I think I might just throw the spare plants in the new tank, can't do much harm and might do some good.

I'm doing regular small water changes on the small tank so I can add some of the old tank water into the new tank which may provide some nutrition for the plants ::thumbu::