Hi, new, want to set up a small Biorb aquarium

Tell us a bit about yourself!
Mightyquin
Has liked: 4 times

Hi, new, want to set up a small Biorb aquarium

Post by Mightyquin »

Hello!

I have a Biorb 30L tank (the Life model, like a cube shape) which I was given a while ago. I've recently moved and thought I would set it up.

I have kept fish when I was in my teens - coldwater - and did OK with them but it's a while ago now! I have heard/read that Biorbs don't have a great reputation amongst 'serious' fish keepers but I'm not interested in setting up a large aquarium and don't have the space, but I'd quite like to have the Biorb in the living room with a few easy to care for fish.

I have thought about Mountain Minnow's, Cherry Barbs, Danio's etc. I'm thinking of sticking with just one type of fish and having maybe 6 of them - I am aware it's a small tank.

The water where I live is moderate hardness.

Can anyone give me some pointers on what type of fish to go for and how many for my tank?

Cheers.

Lee_k
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 564 times

Re: Hi, new, want to set up a small Biorb aquarium

Post by Lee_k »

Hi,

Welcome to the forum! ::wave::

Sounds like you know all about the biorb (I fell for one of them too when I come back into the hobby!), mine was arguably worse as it was the sphere one!... and everyone knows this is the start of the journey - you'll be ordering a 6ft tank in now time :D

However - do you have a heater or planning to add one?

As you say its small but there are plenty of options if you have a heater, personally i've stay away from any livebearer as it'll quickly become overstocked!

But you could go for

Betta fish tank - if you get a friendly one you can put some shrimp in there too!
Celestrial Pearl danios x6 (Probably what i'd go for) in a planted tank
Lampeye tetra x6
Honey gourami x2

Without a heater i'd probably go for

Long finned white cloud mountain minnow
Rice fish
Discus Tank Tank Log
Mbuna TankTank Log
Musk Turtle Tank Tank Log

Turtle Falls tankTank Log - Shut down
Betta Tank 58l Tank Log - Shut down

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 4236 times
Been liked: 3025 times

Post by plankton »

Welcome to the forum. :)
The reason that the Biorbs have a bad reputation with responsible (not serious) keepers is that they're very difficult to keep balanced with what's provided in the way of filters etc.. ;)
I'd also suggest either minnows (no heater) or a betta (with heater), remember that minnows do like a water flow, bettas don't like much. as long as the temperature doesn't go much below 20C, you should be ok with shrimp in with minnows. Nerite snails are cool as algae eaters in small tanks. The limpet nerite tend not to lay eggs everywhere, but I've not got them to last as long as other types.

Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 3695 times
Been liked: 3445 times

Post by Martinspuddle »

Greetings :] & welcome to AF-UK
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:

Mightyquin

Post by Mightyquin »

Thanks for the replies.

As I have the tank and a few new accessories for it I want to try and use it (I have a heater). I don't have the space for a large tank in any case so it's this or nothing!

I understand the Mountain Minnow's are 'hardy' easy to look after fish but was told it's best to use a heater regardless? My flat is quite warm even in winter with the heating off so it's never going to get very cold. I've seen some in a pet store and they look interesting/active.

Also being a small tank if I get 6 fish I don't want to find they've bred more overnight! Not being an expert can I rely on the store to supply just males or females?

Will I need to cycle the tank (with ammonia) for a few weeks before adding the fish given that they're small ones?

TIA

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 4236 times
Been liked: 3025 times

Post by plankton »

Yes, you will have to cycle it. :)
I've never had minnows breed, but I haven't kept them for years..... ;)

Lee_k
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 564 times

Post by Lee_k »

Mightyquin wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:01 pm Thanks for the replies.

As I have the tank and a few new accessories for it I want to try and use it (I have a heater). I don't have the space for a large tank in any case so it's this or nothing!

I understand the Mountain Minnow's are 'hardy' easy to look after fish but was told it's best to use a heater regardless? My flat is quite warm even in winter with the heating off so it's never going to get very cold. I've seen some in a pet store and they look interesting/active.

Also being a small tank if I get 6 fish I don't want to find they've bred more overnight! Not being an expert can I rely on the store to supply just males or females?

Will I need to cycle the tank (with ammonia) for a few weeks before adding the fish given that they're small ones?

TIA
Hi,

Yeah you need the cycle the tank first, you can do a "fish in" cycle but most people don't tend to want the maintenance or effort that comes with that.

You can set the cycle off with some ammonia, or you can throw a bit of fish food in and let it rot, you'll have ammonia showing in a few days - then maybe a week or two later your ammonia should be dropping off and nitrite appearing. Once the nitrite hits 0, do a water change and your good too add your fish! It can take anything from 2/3weeks to 5/6 weeks, there are products you can buy to speed it up.

Take a look at this:

With a heater you could even look at things like a killifish but i'd definitely either try to find some celestrial pearl danio or a betta and look to do a bit of a aquascape.

You'll be amazed how good a nano tank can look. Take a look at this one for a bit of an idea:

Thanks
Lee
Discus Tank Tank Log
Mbuna TankTank Log
Musk Turtle Tank Tank Log

Turtle Falls tankTank Log - Shut down
Betta Tank 58l Tank Log - Shut down

Mightyquin

Post by Mightyquin »

Thank you all for the responses! Lots to learn and think about!