How important is group size?

Tetras, Hatchetfish, Pencilfish, Other Characin Fish (Silver Dollar, Headstander, Leporinus)
Riverfishcommunity

Just a question I've been grappling with.

I have rummy nose, cardinal and neon tetras. When purchased I got the minimum group size i.e 6

As I've gotten more experienced and gone on to bigger aquariums and bigger fish and with the passage of time the numbers of my 'first' fish have dwindled. Leaving me with what I now have - 3 rummy noses. 4 cardinals. 3 neons.

These tetras are now in an almost 300 litre tank and seem happy enough bumbling around. They are in with peaceful community fish.

But the question I keep coming back to is - should I be prioritising getting more cardinals, neon and rummy noses to get their groups back to minimum size?

Or is this less important to fish who have been there since the beginning, are aware there is no threat in the tank, and are quite happy spending their days milling about solo anyway?

I like the rummy nose and cardinals but have found them to be sickly, so I'm not sure I want more.
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

For me, 6 is not a group, it’s a poor compromise, because if shops tried to sell proper groups of 20 and 30 they wouldn’t sell many fish. Hardly any aquarists really go with what the fish would prefer, but at least the compromise of 6 means that most will keep the fish with a few of its own kind.

You make a valid point about the fish knowing that they’re safe. Some species need a group for its social structure, but tetras tend to need a group more for protection and security in numbers, so if they feel safe I don’t think it’s such a big issue that they’re dwindling.

It’s a quandary isn’t it? If you upped the numbers, only for them to dwindle again over time, it means you’ll always have to keep those species. I would probably leave them as they are if you’re not wanting to restock with the same species.
Last edited by black ghost on Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
Andys temperate tank
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Has liked: 4378 times
Been liked: 2896 times

I found the more rummie noses I added the better they shoaled/schooled.
64l kitchen tank: 16 golden tetra.
5ft 425L: 3 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 24 corydoras duplicareas,2 SAE.