Slow sinking pellet recommendations

Food, feeding and diet.
SPACKlick
Posting Legend
Has liked: 399 times
Been liked: 412 times

tl;dr What slow sinking pellets and floating foods do people recommend?

With my current plan to add one or two new species to the main tank over the next couple of months I've been looking to change/add to the staple food for the tanks. But I have no idea about fish food. I've generally assumed they're all much of a muchness. Whatever I use will be supplemented with frozen artemia, daphnia, bloodworm and cyclops. And Freeze dried Tubifex (given a 6-24 hour soak outside the tank before feeding).

What I'd really like is a slow sinking pellet/granule that will stay in the water column for the barbs without they having to scavenge off the ground. And a decent floating food for the tetras I'll be adding.

At the moment I have some aquacare pro colour granules that I don't have packaging for because they were giving them away for free at maidenhead aquatics. I only have about a week's supply left but they're my preferred dry food for the cherry barbs at the moment.

I do have some Aquacare tropical flake but I don't like to feed too much of it, I don't know if it's because they gulp in air with it or the amount of starch or whatever but the barbs are less active after eating it. (it's 25% worm meal, the next biggest ingredient it wheat).

I also have Vitalis Cafish pellets and Plec Pellets both of which have passed their expiry date so maybe I should replace them. I'm also noticing they're quite low in protein.
250L: Tank Log
2 female Bristlenose Pleco, 24 Cherry Barbs 7M:17F, 4 Reticulated Flying Foxes, 17 Neon Tetra, 15 Lemon Tetra, 11 Yellow/Orange Cherry Shrimp, 1 Zebra Nerite Snail, 3 Olve Nerite Snails, 4 Horned Nerite snails, 25 Amano Shrimp, Many Malaysian Trumpet Snails - AqAdvisor
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

Tetra Prima? It will fly all round the tank in the current making it look like a red snow-globe till it eventually sinks. It’s great for mid-water feeders.

I wouldn’t go anywhere near Aquarian. Only 20 years ago one of their reps’ “selling points” was that it causes fewer deaths than Sera or Gussie… which aren’t even proper fish foods. They even had a graph to prove it.
Last edited by black ghost on Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

You could give herons a go.
Semi-floating; insect formula; high protein; improves growth, digestion and immune system

I use a selection of their foods for mine :)
CrashEd
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 23 times

fr499y wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:24 am You could give herons a go.
Semi-floating; insect formula; high protein; improves growth, digestion and immune system

I use a selection of their foods for mine :)
I've heard of Heron's Foods before but never tried them.

What else do you recommend @fr499y ? The Algae Wafer Mix look good for my plecs...

(sorry for the minor thread hijack!)
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 696 times
Been liked: 1686 times

Another prima vote 👍
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
Andys temperate tank
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Has liked: 4378 times
Been liked: 2896 times

I use tetra prima and oase organix colour granules so I have a variety of sizes to.match the fish.
64l kitchen tank: 16 golden tetra.
5ft 425L: 3 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 24 corydoras duplicareas,2 SAE.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

CrashEd wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 19:27 pm I've heard of Heron's Foods before but never tried them.

What else do you recommend @fr499y ? The Algae Wafer Mix look good for my plecs...

(sorry for the minor thread hijack!)
There micro pellets are good too.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

I only use Herons for the dry food now, everything from mini granules to algae wafers.
Everything loves them.
I still don't use flakes though. ;)
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
CrashEd
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 23 times

plankton wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:35 am I only use Herons for the dry food now, everything from mini granules to algae wafers.
Everything loves them.
I still don't use flakes though. ;)
Super - thanks guys.