Canister questions??

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

TheNotoriousDub_ wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:33 pm OK next question 🤣 what's this alage and how do I rid of it??
Mixture of some Diatom, Green Dust Algae and possibly Black Brush Algae, (BBA) starting on the Java Fern leaf tips, little difficult to tell from your picture.

Two options, either read the forum guide on Algae Control - Understanding Algae Growth in Aquariums or use this with caution :] ...

WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Staffylover
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 2275 times
Been liked: 1945 times

Ok Thick Lipped Gourami - Trichogaster Labiosa is a bigger fish and a different shape kind of oblong! than honey gourami - Trichogaster Chuna which is a smaller fish and more rounded, both lovely fish, the Honey Gourami is more likely to struggle with flow, if you find they are hiding away it might be best to set up a small quieter tank for them, although you would still need effective filtration, or maybe exchange them at your local shop as your other fish can all cope with or enjoy flow, the thick lipped gourami should be fine.
Regarding Algae it can get out of hand but all tanks have some, if it's only a small amount I would not worry, if it's just on old leaves I would remove them at the base to tidy things up, people have different standards regarding this, some people have really immaculate tanks and they look great, this takes both patience and effort, I have neither, there has to be a LOT of algae in a tank before it will bother me much. :happy:
500l - Africa river - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6873
2x200l - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=7790
Others - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewto ... =15&t=7411
230L 6ft - Shallow stream
Roma 125l - Holding fish
Qubiq 60 - Dwarf Spotted Danio
40l/25L - Black- bellied Limia/Pygmy Sunfish
TheNotoriousDub_
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 8 times

Staffylover wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 22:45 pm Ok Thick Lipped Gourami - Trichogaster Labiosa is a bigger fish and a different shape kind of oblong! than honey gourami - Trichogaster Chuna which is a smaller fish and more rounded, both lovely fish, the Honey Gourami is more likely to struggle with flow, if you find they are hiding away it might be best to set up a small quieter tank for them, although you would still need effective filtration, or maybe exchange them at your local shop as your other fish can all cope with or enjoy flow, the thick lipped gourami should be fine.
Regarding Algae it can get out of hand but all tanks have some, if it's only a small amount I would not worry, if it's just on old leaves I would remove them at the base to tidy things up, people have different standards regarding this, some people have really immaculate tanks and they look great, this takes both patience and effort, I have neither, there has to be a LOT of algae in a tank before it will bother me much. :happy:
Thanks for the reply 🙂
Since playing with the spray bar positioning across the back of the tank, I've found having it 2cm below the water level and about a 45 degree angle upwards it hits the surface and spreads towards the front and gets weaker as it travels through the frogbit, it still makes a full circulation back up to the spray bar but the flow is far less violent! The honeys have never really hid, surprisingly they're always making an appearance in the front view of the tank and they love going between the swords or ferns. They pretty much follow the (now I'm educated) thick lipped around! Especially now the flow has reduced slightly.
With the algae I will take those two stems out, it only seems to be on them AND only seems to be on them when I accidently double dosed the tank with api leaf zone...probably has nothing to do with that though 🙃
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

TheNotoriousDub_ wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:44 am I accidently double dosed the tank with api leaf zone...probably has nothing to do with that though 🙃
If you make a mistake like overdosing, simply dilute with a waterchanges.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
TheNotoriousDub_

The thick lipped gouramis keep swimming up and blowing these bubbles?

Also here's a picture of my new layout

black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

They’re wanting to build a bubble nest.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
TheNotoriousDub_

😮 cool
TheNotoriousDub_

Decided to remove my pebbles as the corys seemed less active with them in