Atyopsis Foods

AndyC1983

Hi,

I have an atyopsis that I have had in my tank for a year and a bit. It is in a mature planted tank so I think it will get bits and pieces of food from the tank but I have also put in a scoop of Shrimp King Atyopsis most days.

My tub of the food has now almost run out and it looks like it is not made anymore as it isn't in stock anywhere.

Does anybody know of an alternative food designed for atyopsis? I have heard people use Spirulina powder but worry that this may not be a complete enough food. The shrimp king atyopsis seems to be mostly crushed shrimps from the label though so maybe something powdery with more protein would be better?

Any advice on what other people feed these would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

IIRC, their diet is algae based, so spirulina is actually a really good food for them. another option is crushed veg/spirulina based flake food.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4252 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Greetings :] & welcome to AF-UK

The short answer is no. Bamboo Shrimp (Atyopsis Moluccensis) are filter feeders as you probably know and these Shrimp need good water flow. Most of the time in a mature aquarium your Atyopsis will feed on Infusoria which naturally live and reproduce in the aquarium water, organic detritus and free floating algaes. Also, everytime you feed your other inmates in your aquarium, Bamboo Shrimp will feed from whatever particles are left in the water column.

You can supplement their diet with Spirulina powder.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

Welcome to the forum. :)
I've kept them and they had "Tetra baby" and spirulina powder, plus whatever they found in the tank. Mine lived for about 3.5 years, which apparently a bit longer than the average 2-3 years.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
AndyC1983

Thanks for the suggestions everybody, I will get some spirulina powder for my atyopsis.
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4252 times
Been liked: 3917 times

You'll be amazed how much there be in one pinch of Spirulina powder, so only mix a tiny amount in aquarium water before adding.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: