API Master Test Kit - Nitrate always zero

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
bensmithuk
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 2 times

I have both Aquacare and API Master Test kits and they give very different Nitrate readings….

Aquacare is ~20-40ppm. API is zero, always. Consistent across 2 of each kit. All within date and carefully following instructions on shaking / sediment etc.

I am aware the API needs to be shaken a lot, I've even banged the bottle per some online suggestions to shake up the sediment. Regardless, it always reads zero.

Am I going mad? Am I missing something?
John Linklater
Has liked: 250 times
Been liked: 90 times

I give bottle 2, two or three proper thumps on the kitchen worktop and shake for double the time then shake the test tube for double the time and that seems to work.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

Yeah the API test requires a bit of brute force of the bottles before testing!
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Got a washing machine that vibrates during it's 800 rpm or 1000 rpm spin cycle? ...stick your API test kit on top of the machine before use. :grin:
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 438 times
Been liked: 844 times

bensmithuk wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 19:05 pm I have both Aquacare and API Master Test kits and they give very different Nitrate readings….

Aquacare is ~20-40ppm. API is zero, always. Consistent across 2 of each kit. All within date and carefully following instructions on shaking / sediment etc.

I am aware the API needs to be shaken a lot, I've even banged the bottle per some online suggestions to shake up the sediment. Regardless, it always reads zero.

Am I going mad? Am I missing something?
Are you using both bottles? Most people with this issue don't realise theres a second bottle.
bensmithuk
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 2 times

I'm using both bottles and shaking very vigorously for twice the time required by the instructions (I started off following the instructions, but increased 'in case' that was the issue). I've also invited a neighbour 'round to use their API test kit and he gets the same results with his.
John Linklater

bensmithuk wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:48 am I'm using both bottles and shaking very vigorously for twice the time required by the instructions (I started off following the instructions, but increased 'in case' that was the issue). I've also invited a neighbour 'round to use their API test kit and he gets the same results with his.
Your tank is cycling, the nitrogen cycle produces ammonia, then converts the ammonia to nitrite then converts the nitrite to nitrates. It sounds like no nitrates are there yet.
John Linklater

Incidentally, if your neighbour has an established tank you could get some sponge or filter media from his filter , put it in your filter and that’ll be the cycling sorted.
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 438 times
Been liked: 844 times

John Linklater wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 13:10 pm
bensmithuk wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:48 am I'm using both bottles and shaking very vigorously for twice the time required by the instructions (I started off following the instructions, but increased 'in case' that was the issue). I've also invited a neighbour 'round to use their API test kit and he gets the same results with his.
Your tank is cycling, the nitrogen cycle produces ammonia, then converts the ammonia to nitrite then converts the nitrite to nitrates. It sounds like no nitrates are there yet.
I didn't see the other posts about this being a new tank. Yes, nitrates are the final stages of cycling.
John Linklater

Si4geckos wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:45 am
John Linklater wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 13:10 pm
I didn't see the other posts about this being a new tank. Yes, nitrates are the final stages of cycling.
https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=8211