DuzMano's Leddy 60XL 72l

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
DuzMano
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 24 times

Double post, sorry
Last edited by DuzMano on Wed May 01, 2024 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duz "'Scape Noob" Mano

Duz Mano's Leddy XL
DuzMano

plankton wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:17 am How hard is the water?
It may be that they put CO2 into the supply to keep down the limescale in the pipes....?
Very hard water, 15+ Deg German and about the same kh. So if they add co2 then I guess that degasses over time leaving me with a higher pH...

I'll get a tub of tap water, dechlorinate it, then leave it a day or two and test it and see what I get...
Last edited by DuzMano on Wed May 01, 2024 16:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duz "'Scape Noob" Mano

Duz Mano's Leddy XL
DuzMano

Didn't even take a day, just a few hours. 7.5 out of the tap, 8.5 when it's been left for a while...

Might have to look at some product such as alkaline down to convert some of that kh into acidity. Didn't want to become a chemist, but oh well hahah
Duz "'Scape Noob" Mano

Duz Mano's Leddy XL
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5086 times
Been liked: 3435 times

Don't over-worry about the ph, just remember that it does change a lot for when you do water changes.
It's the hardness that matters more to the fish.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
DuzMano

Daily ammonia tests from Tuesday to Thursday all sitting at 0-0.5 ppm, yesterday, Wednesday, was more like 0.2-0.5, today Thursday, it's back to more like 0 or between 0 and 0.2ppm. Did a nitrite and nitrate test today, nitrite is at 2-4ppm, nitrate at 40+ppm.

I'm guessing I should do a water change, about 50%?. But it's encouraging signs I guess that the cycle is going ok. But disappointed that there wasn't a bigger ammonia spike, but then I'm guessing the added bottle bacteria contains mostly if not solely the ammonia eating bacteria and it's doing its job well beings as I have a substantial nitrite spike today...

Duz "'Scape Noob" Mano

Duz Mano's Leddy XL
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1797 times
Been liked: 4266 times

Your fishless cycling right? don't do a water change, just top up the ammonia and wait until the nitrites drop.
DuzMano

fr499y wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:07 am Your fishless cycling right? don't do a water change, just top up the ammonia and wait until the nitrites drop.
Yes fishless cycling. So add some more fish food? It's getting really messy haha can I use something other than fish food that's not going to litter my tank lmao

I'm so wanting to get in there and give it a good hoover and clean up. I also have loads of this thick grey slime on my driftwood, which I assume is biofilm, need some shrimp in there, they'd love it if it weren't more than a little toxic in there for them right now lmao
Duz "'Scape Noob" Mano

Duz Mano's Leddy XL
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5086 times
Been liked: 3435 times

Use ammonia. There's a chart in the Guides/resources to help calculate how much you need depending on the strength.
Use pure ammonia, not any with perfume or surfactants.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
DuzMano

Have ordered some, but in the meantime have added more fish food. It says in the cycling guide here, that high nitrates slows the cycle which is why I thought I needed to water change...and I'm impatient ;)

I have lots of plants, but they're too busy melting to be sucking up nitrates lmao
Duz "'Scape Noob" Mano

Duz Mano's Leddy XL
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1797 times
Been liked: 4266 times

It can, but you have nitrites, so the cycle hasn't slowed or come to a halt. It'll just need more ammonia dosing (at this stage, possibly every day), testing each day and waiting for the 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite to show.