Twirl round a fork! ...

Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4387 times
Been liked: 4045 times

@Vale!, do you need worming? :dodgy2:
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Vale!
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 1309 times

Thankfully, @Martinspuddle, excretion was not involved (at least not from my end!).

I'd intended to make this post in the not-too-distant ; however having seen that 'joke' this morning I couldn't resist bringing it forward.

[For fellow pedants : it was actually a rice noodle. They do occasionally get served pasta though, so I think I was justified in that bit of poetic licence!]

And for those who've no idea what's going on : these are the hair-thin worms 'Dero digitata' (aka Microfex).

I'd tried culturing them a couple of times over the last ten years or so but had failed miserably. The only source I knew of then was in America. Their price and that of their shipping was horrifying. Added to which a typical 'starter' culture consisted of a really tiny ball of worms which made those attempts very expensive luxuries in terms of cost-per-worm. But last year, looking for something else, I happened upon a much cheaper source in Europe, so a further attempt seemed economically more feasible.

While looking for a place in my PC to park the pic that I posted this morning I came upon one of the starter cultures (I ordered two) when they arrived from Denmark, sized very much like their American cousins :

I've had a lot more success with them this time around - and spectacularly more so since I introduced some of my Moina (they're like Daphnia but less crunchy!) in a co-culture.

My ambition at the beginning was to produce enough Deros to add occasionally to my fishes' menu roster. If successful in that I would then offer relatively generous starter cultures to any Forum Member(s) who wanted to have a go. These would be gratis with the only proviso that, should a Dero Disaster happen at Vale! Towers, there would be guaranteed reciprocity.

Anyway I appear to have reached both of those points!

PM if interested?
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1855 times
Been liked: 4438 times

Your fish are certainly living the gormet life!
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4387 times
Been liked: 4045 times

Think mine get enough with Walter worms, Brine shrimp and live Daphnia plus frozen foods, thanks for though @Vale! :]

Click to enlarge
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5174 times
Been liked: 3486 times

It's another interesting project by you (oh, nice to "see" you by the way ;) ), I look forward to seeing how your fish enjoy them. :)
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian