Will Apistogramma Borellii eat my nano fish?

Angel's, Discus, Oscars, Rams, Malawi etc.
LadyDay
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 4 times

Hi 🙂
I could use a bit of experience.
I have an 80 liter tank with three species of nano fish. Boraras naevus, Sundadanio axelrodi and Aplocheilichthys normani. I would love to add a pair of beautiful "focus fish" in the form of Apistogramma borellii, but I am wondering if they will be able and willing to eat the tiny Boraras and Sundadanio? I know most fish will eat whatever fits in their mouth, but I'm not sure if these are small enough to become snacks for the also little Apistos?
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4387 times
Been liked: 4045 times

Risky, if it's big enough to fit in their mouths, it will be probably eaten. :cry:

Just been looking up Apistogramma borellii (I never kept Apisto's, local water is too hard, except with RO water) they are quite small Cichlid species, so you might just get away with it, if the Boraras and Sundadanio are adult sizes.

Question, what is your current stocking level and are you aware this Apistogramma species can be quite sensitive to poor water quality?
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5174 times
Been liked: 3486 times

I wouldn't trust any cichlid, no matter what size, with anything smaller than 2"(so twice the size of your nanos).
I'd be more inclined to go with honey gourami (if you can get true ones and not the morphs/hybrids), and set up a tank just for the apistos. ;)
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
LadyDay
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 4 times

Thank you for the replies, I'm sorry I didn't see them right away, I didn't get notifications about them.
I might get a separate tank for apistogrammas, if I can convince the boyfriend, and stick with the nano fish in the small tank, to avoid anyone getting eaten.
The tank might have enough inhabitants anyway, I don't want to push it, though the filter is large volume and the tank mature and the water tests well (drop tests, no ammonia or nitrite, nitrates low) and it's well planted.