Sudden increase in hardness.

Request information on fish, plants or other aquarium issues.
Mito
Has liked: 349 times
Been liked: 190 times

I think I know the answer but I'm looking for a solution! I did a water change today about 50% and on refilling it I checked the hardness as I always do. Normally it's around 14/16 gDh but today 29gDh. I'm not on mains water, I have a deposit which is filled as necessary by lorry. The hardness has been increasing slowly because we are in a drought situation here and local water comes from underground rivers. A week ago we had a torrencial downpour, 45 lts/m2 in half an hour. The first rain in months and I think that surface water ran into the deposit. There is an entrance to collect this water but it has never affected the hardness like this, usually making it slightly softer. The water is now more alkaline than before as well. Is there anyway I can "demineralise" the water to bring the hardness down to nearer its normal levels and also to reduce the alkalinity?
Normal readings pH 7.6 / 7.8, kH 7, gdH 14/16, TDS 460 (last change)
Today pH 8.0, kH 8, gdH 29 TDS1018
I thought of putting peat or leaves in to increase the acidity but I'm at a loss as to how to reduce the hardness safely. And no, I don't want to go African. I like my plants too much.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4387 times
Been liked: 4045 times

Your TDS is a tad high. 250 to 300 is better reading.

Wouldn't harm to add some botanicals or adding some peat moss to your filter. Just be aware with any peat, it will make your filter mucky.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5174 times
Been liked: 3486 times

I can't think of anything that will reduce it that much except an RO unit.
This is where we need @Vale! to experiment or use his knowledge.... ;)
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1855 times
Been liked: 4438 times

Martinspuddle wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 18:12 pm Your TDS is a tad high. 250 to 300 is better reading.

Wouldn't harm to add some botanicals or adding some peat moss to your filter. Just be aware with any peat, it will make your filter mucky.
Which is why you'd put floss > Peat in bag > Floss so any dirt is filtered as best as it can be.
Martinspuddle

fr499y wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:59 am
Martinspuddle wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 18:12 pm Your TDS is a tad high. 250 to 300 is better reading.

Which is why you'd put floss > Peat in bag > Floss so any dirt is filtered as best as it can be.
Funny enough I use to do that ...and it clogs the filter up in on time. :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1855 times
Been liked: 4438 times

Yup, one of the reasons I stopped using peat and just crushed it up in my indoor plants instead :)
Martinspuddle

fr499y wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 10:48 am Yup, one of the reasons I stopped using peat and just crushed it up in my indoor plants instead :)
I just put up with a dirty filter instead. ;]
Mito
Has liked: 349 times
Been liked: 190 times

I've got some old vines which are rich in tannin. That might reduce the alkalinity a bit. I don't want more crud in the filter, the corys do a good job there! In a couple of weeks time I'll have to order water, hopefully the water wont be as hard. I've looked on internet for info on water softening but all I found was about domestic softening. One day I'll get round to posting some tank photos. Computer time is after the evening meal at 8 and by that time I'm knackered. :sleep: