Stephen's 550L tank log:

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3409 times

Stephen's 600L 550L tank log
This is my tank log of my 6 foot 600L 550L aquarium dating back to Sunday 4th September 2016 to present day.
It is quite long so give yourself at least 10 minutes to read it all.
This tank log details the setting up, the mistakes, mishaps, frustrations, disasters and changes to the layout and changes to the stocking.

About myself & my history
I was born & live in Hereford, Herefordshire in 1959.
I went to an excellent Grammar school (1970-1975)
I was employed as an area sales manager for many years with different national companies.
In 1998 I was diagnosed with a spinal condition (narrowing of spinal canal and degeneration of spine) which ended my working career.
I struggle to walk, struggle to lift and other things and I am in pain daily, some days are worse than others.
I can not sit for too long (this post will likely take me well over an hour despite spending most of yesterday preparing this post), I can not stand still for too long; I have to stand and move after sitting for a short while, I also have to sit if standing or walking for a while. I can not get out of a bath without assistance and with assistance it is still difficult, thank goodness for showers.
I am married to Gillian (Gill), we only got married on 1st March 2017 after a long (over 14 years) engagement.
She often tells me off for doing things that cause me additional pain or that I will pay the price for afterwards but I always say "no pain, no gain". I won't allow my disabilty to control my life although I do know my limitations but to achieve anything I do push those limitations.

My hobbies & interests
Tropical fish keeping
Photography
Genealogy

Tropical fish
I only started keeping tropical fish back in July 2013. My first tropical fish tank was a Fluval Roma 240.
As with all my interests and hobbies I spend a lot of time reading and researching. I have probably spent close to 10,000 hours reading and researching about tropical fish.
I have datasheets which list over 1700 fish species with information about pH, water hardness, water temperature, size etc.. I have also datasheets of fish species found in countries (especially south American countries). I have also broken those datasheets down to create new datasheets of fish species found in certain rivers within the countries.

My fish keeping history
I bought my first fish tank around 1990/91, it was a coldwater tank with a few fancy goldfish type species (shubunkin etc..)
My first tropical tank, a Fluval Roma 240 was only purchased in July 2013.
My second tropical tank, a smaller 125L was purchased in October 2014.
Both tanks took up 6'6" of wall space with a total volume of about 365L, so I said to myself that it would be good to combine both tanks and to have a single tank which takes up the same wall space but a little deeper. So in November 2015 I started planning (on paper) an upgrade; a single tank which could of been 5, 6, 7 or even 8 foot (at a push).
Eventually after several months of consideration I settled on a 6 foot (600L) tank. The hardest bit was to persuade the OH, she eventually came round to my idea and soon became as excited as I was, well almost.

(this post will likely take me well over an hour despite spending most of yesterday preparing this post)
Well it has taken 2 hours already and I haven't started my actual log yet.
Last edited by Stephen on Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner

Stephen's 550L tank log
The tank is an Aqua One Aquience 1800R like in the image below.
Aquarium = 180w x 60d x 66h cm 600L 550L (advertised as being 600L but actually only 550L)

The theme for this aquarium will be "Bolivia" and based mainly on the Rio Mamoré but also on the Rio Guaporé (known as the Rio Iténez in Bolivia).
I had already re-homed fish that did not fit in with my new theme.
Gill (my OH) and I had visited several LFS, sometimes travelling over 65 miles to one to look at fish, check availability, weigh up prices etc.. but mainly to see fish in the flesh as opposed to a picture on the internet. I created a list of suitable fish and knew where some of those fish were available and at what cost.
We saw some gorgeous Cupid cichlids at Lechlade, Gloucestershire (65 miles away) on the Monday and returned there on the Friday and bought them.

Job schedule: starting Sunday 4th September 2016
Sunday - remove plants, decor and sand from 240L tank (temporary re-home fish) and clean tank.
Monday evening - temporary re-home fish to 100L plastic container with lid, air pump, heater etc..
Tuesday morning - say good-bye to Roma 240L tank.
Tuesday morning - move furniture (settee, table and chairs etc..) to allow easy access for new tank
Tuesday afternoon/Wednesday morning - say hello to new 6 foot (600L) tank
Wednesday - set up new tank; re-arrange media in new filters (2) and add established media, add décor, rocks, plants etc.. to new tank
Wednesday evening - re-home fish in their new home (hopefully)

Well that's the plan, sounds easy until you add the fact that I have a spinal disability and in constant pain, any lifting is difficult & painful, as is walking and other activities.
As the saying goes, "no pain, no gain".

The first part is clearing out the old tanks and making room for the new one.
Everything was at hand ready and hopefully fish will be in their new home within 24/36 hours.
The tank will only be at about 55% stocking level with the existing stock so room for lots more.

(Edited due to font errors)
Last edited by Stephen on Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:25 am, edited 5 times in total.
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner

Sunday 04/09/2016
16.08pm - 240L tank emptied and cleaned, added new dechlorinated water just to put fish back in for 36 hours.

Monday 05/09/2016
OK the new tank is being delivered in the morning (Tuesday).
Just bought some shims to level it all out.
I have to move the Roma 240 now to make room and it's 9.00pm already.
10.00pm and still at it for at least another hour.

Tuesday 06/09/2016
7.37am - just need to move the old empty tank and furniture.
The new tank will be here in less than 3 hours.
I had less than 6 hours sleep.
8.35am
The space is vacant and ready.
I decided that I won't be starting my set up today, just the preparation and checking everything.
I'll start first thing tomorrow (Wednesday), after a good nights sleep.
I need more tea.
10.46am
Just had the phone call, they will be here in about 10 minutes with the new tank. 
Just an afterthought, I want to paint the back ....
11.11am
Cabinet is in, shims in place, nice and level (+/- 1mm).
Tank will arrive very shortly.
11.56am 
Tank is now in.
I'm going to take it easy today.
Take Gill out for lunch as she has been superb, I could not of done any of this without her.
In "real life" this tank and cabinet looks amazing much better than any photo floating on the internet. It’s the 6x2x2 Aqua One Aquience 1800R which comes with 2 x external filters and T5 lighting consisting of 4 x T5 24W + 4 x T5 39W tubes.
16.20pm
Just arrived back home after treating Gill to lunch, I even bought her some flowers which is probably the first time in 15 years (and last). 
I forgot the paint and rollers; no not for Gill, to paint the background black. Will pop out again a little later, Hobbycraft is only up the road.
17.52pm
Just ordered some plants on-line.
The tank theme is "Bolivia" for the fish but not necessarily for all the plants; which is why my tank will be a theme as opposed to a biotope. My tank fish species are themed on Bolivia whilst the majority of plants also originate from south America, not all the plants do.
20.37pm
Too dark to paint the tank now so will start in the morning.
This is the outside of the tank (back) so should not interfere too much with my setting up.

Wednesday 07/09/2016
Today I was going to paint the background.
Bought the paint and long roller and spare heads.
I forgot to get a tray and Gill's at work with the car, and I'm normally organised.
10.47am
No panic, I just found a new large tray, that will do.
I wish I put an old shirt on though.
This tank is difficult to move due to the size and weight.
The back of the tank is less than 2 inches from the wall and obviously not enough elbow room for me to paint. I'll get there ... eventually.
18.48pm
Tank is now 90% painted, just need to finish it off.
Actual set up will start in the morning, plants arrive tomorrow too.
19.31pm
99% there just the touch ups now.
23.23pm
Background painting done.
A lot of painting and very little space (relieved).

Thursday 08/09/2016
7.29am - had less than 6 hours sleep.
I have also ruined a good pair of trousers and a top (with paint).
8.22am
Almost time to start setting up.
A quick wipe of the inside of the tank with a damp cloth first and another cup of tea.
9.05am
I wish I had longer arms.
The drop inside the new tank is about 65cm whilst the Roma is about 55cm; that 10cm makes a big difference. I also have to stand on a chair just to reach inside, (planting will be fun later).
11.15am
I went to Morrisons for breakfast this morning just to get me started and in the mood.
On my return I added the plant substrate to the tank, a fairly even layer across the tank leaving about a 1.5 inch gap at the front, back and sides.
The next job was to wash 60kg+ of my chosen sand, Unipac Samoa fine sand (5 x 12.5kg bags).
I had the buckets ready and half-filled one bucket and added water to give it a good rinse.
The water was clear; that was a welcome bonus as I could now just pour it straight in to the tank.
It is far easier to initially scape dry sand than wet sand.
Once I had the levels about right visibly I then wanted to double check. So I added a little water to the tank.
Water (in the tank) will always be level so as I added waterI could then see levels of sand that were a little higher or lower, I could then move sand from high areas to low areas.
I could of easiIly used another one or two bags of sand.

I then began to slowly fill the tank with water using a hose pipe.
The idea was to partially fill the tank to about 6 inches ready to add some décor and planting.

Meanwhile I started to get the external filters ready.
I had already make drawings a few weeks ago on how I wanted to set the media up in my new filters. The established biohome mini ultra media was still in my Eheim filter so it was a case of transferring it to the new filter.

Setting the first external filter up was pretty straight forward, all I needed to do was to set up the spray bar and outlet, attach hoses and the Hydor external heater.
The electric lead from the filter reached my wall mounted extension sockets but not the Hydor lead.
So I had to get the drill out and re-position one of my wall mounted extension sockets.
This was quickly followed by getting the vacuum cleaner out.
I then cut one hose too short, so I put a joint in. I have 5 meters of new hose that I bought a month or so ago, where did I put it?
The first filter is ready and sitting in the left hand side cupboard under the tank.

Now for the second filter which will sit in the right hand side cupboard under the tank.
Now I can not access the right hand cupboard due to the door being too close to a storage heater.  Oops! 
So temporarily I am running with one external filter.
That storage heater will be gone in a few months and replaced with "proper" central heating, so the second filter will have to be positioned in the next cupboard.

I added my existing lava rocks, existing plants and 2 of the new plants.
The other new plants are sat in water.
I have one 300W external heater so added 2 internal 300W heaters to the tank to get the temperature up as quickly as possible.
I continued to fill the tank with water whilst moving the internal heaters up as the water level got higher.

Friday 09/09/2016 
01.15am
All done (well almost), fish are in their new home etc.. I think they love it.
11.08am
I must get the second filter installed and the other plants planted.
The storage heater will come off but has some heavy, dense thermal bricks inside and my back won't cope. I will probably move it slightly, remove the door, and then put the heater back.
I'm not achieving anything today, I’m admiring my new tank and gorgeous fish.
I must get the other filter set up.
I do intend to change the rocks around and add more rocks in a couple of weeks.
I am also after a big piece of bogwood.

Meanwhile I have the second filter working but from the front, I will hopefully re-house it in the cupboard over the weekend when the door is off.
I just wish I positioned the cabinet 2 inches more to the left and an inch further from the wall.
It would not be so rewarding if things were too simple.

Saturday 10/09/2016
I managed to get the right hand door off by removing the storage heater and moving it over 1 cm.
The problem now is I can not get the screws back in to secure the storage heater, I got the one screw in but there's not enough room for me to get the other one in, it's too close to the tank.
It should not fall unless someone leans on it heavily.
Now that the door is off I will relocate the second filter to the cupboard.
I better start relocating that filter.

Powered by EHEIM
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner

Sunday 11/09/2016
Good news - I found my spare filter tubing.
More good news - the Roma 240 will be gone first thing tomorrow, a guy will be collecting at 9.00am, just before we head off to Cornwall. 
I told him not to arrive after 9.40am as no one will be here.

Filter is now in doorless cupboard, spray bar etc.. re-arranged and external heater attached.
The niggling bits are now sorted.
So what have I got or used?
1 x 6x2x2 (600L) Aqua One Aquience 1800R tank
2 x Aqua One Aquis 1250 II filters (1400L/h)
Background painted black
2 x Hydor 300W external (in-line) heaters
2 x 5L bags JBL Flora Plus plant substrate
5 x 12.5kg bags Unipac Samoa fine sand (I will likely add another 1 or 2 bags)

Existing rocks which will be ugraded or added to.
Existing plants and new plants planted.
Existing fish (Bolivia theme) 5 x Cupid Cichlids (will add another), 15 x Black Phantom Tetra, 11 x White Tip Bentosi Tetra, 12 x Sterbai Cory
I am currently only about 50% stocked so stock will be added to over the next few weeks/months.

Monday 12/09/2016
9.00am
The Fluval Roma 240 was collected as promised, so I had a little extra cash in my pocket.
Bags are packed and we are ready for our trip to Cornwall and will leave shortly.

September 2016
Friday 16/09/2016
We are back from Cornwall.
I have some re-scaping to do, more rocks/wood to buy, more plants to buy and obviously more fish to buy.
Besides the few hiccups on the way I am very happy with my bigger tank as it gives more scope and hopefully less maintenance.

Monday 19/09/2016
We had a trip out today looking for fish and maybe some wood.
Well I did not buy any fish but I did find a nice chunk of bogwood which cost me a bit.
All in all it was quite an expensive day as I also bought Gill a new engagement ring.
We have been engaged for just over 14 years (yes, fourteen years) and the other ring was a bit tight on Gill's finger. So I bought her a .25 carat (certified) solitaire ring to replace the other one.
She only wanted a cheap one but I saw a better one which was a bit more expensive   (Gill's happy).

Tuesday 20/09/2016
We had another trip out today to Stratford-upon-Avon.
We visited Sweet Knowles at Stratford but came away with nothing.
We then visited MA at Stratford and bought 6 x Smudge Spot Cory (Corydoras similis), they were not cheap but less than at another MA store.

Thursday 22/09/2016
I will attempt to put the big piece of bogwood in this afternoon as I have an extra bag of sand to add which arrived this morning.
The bogwood fitted through the 25 inch gap as sweet as a nut. It is in place and the rocks have been re-positioned. I removed and re-planted some plants but must make another order up.

I have had the new tank for 16 days which includes the 5 days we had in Cornwall, seems longer somehow.
I think I have achieved a lot in such a short time, a few hiccups on the way but that's all behind me now.
The fish are looking good and the tank hopefully will look even better in a few weeks when the plants get established.

Monday 26/09/2016
I'm still well under-stocked so room for a big shoal of something.
Gill loves the Glass Bloodfin Tetra (Prionobrama filigera) which do exist in Bolivia but I have found no record of them in the themed rivers but I will continue to research them.
Next on my list is 2 x red-breast acara which only grow to about 3 inches which will be the last of the cichlids stocked.
Well I have just found a document which states that Glass Bloodfin Tetra (Prionobrama filigera) were collected from the Rio Mamoré. Gill is happy as she really likes these (so do I)
I bought 15 x Glass Bloodfin Tetra (Prionobrama filigera).

October 2016
Thursday 06/10/2016
Today I am going to re-position my extension sockets (again), a little more to the left and about an inch higher.
Friday 07/10/2016
I bought 2 x Red Breast Acara (Laetacara dorsigera) today and increased the Glass Bloodfin Tetra to 21x.
Friday 14/10/2016
I am now using my Eheim Pro 3 600 as well as the Aqua One, the other Aqua One external filter will now be a spare.
I replaced both the filter seals and the pre-filter sponge on the Eheim.
I also replaced the Eheim MechPRO (plastic rings) for Eheim Mech (small ceramic rings) as the plastic rings float which can be annoying when doing filter maintenance.
Added two in-line Eheim taps which will be useful in an emergency as I can shut off the water and easily change filters over.
Then cleaned up the (now spare) Aqua One external filter.
All in all quite a busy day
Thursday 27/10/2016
Just done another big water change, probably about 60% (300L+).
I have also just planted some new plants from Aquarium Gardens.

November 2016
Tuesday 08/11/2016
Just added 12x little otos.

January 2017
I had a tank water over heating issue which took several days to diagnose the issue.
My original Hydor external heater had failed. It was approx 2 years old so I replaced it.

March 2017
Gill & I got married on St Davids day (1st March) after a very long (over 14 years) engagement.
We had a few days at Portmeirion staying at Castell Deudraeth for our honeymoon.

April 2017
I visited another LFS last looking for some additional Red Breast Acara (Laetacara dorsigera) to add to the two I already have; despite being smallish (under 3 inches), I just love these guys. 
Well the stockist had some very small Red Breast Acara which I was not interested in as they would look lost in my tank.
Then looking at all the other tanks I spotted two adult size Red Breast Acara, I asked the assistant to confirm what they were and he was not sure, yet I was 99% certain that they were indeed Red Breast Acara and bought them at the same price as the tiny ones, I was correct and now have four of the lovely fish.
I have decided that the Black Phantom Tetra (Hyphessobrycon megalopterus) will have to go.
They do not work against my black background. Although there are 18 Black Phantom Tetra in my tank, you would never know it unless you get up close.

May 2017
I just bought a brand new Eheim Pro 3 1200XL (2080) should be here Friday (12/05/2017).
I will run this with my Eheim Pro 3 600 (2075) and keep both Aqua One Aquis filters as spares.
There is nothing wrong with the Aqua One external filters, I just wanted extra filtration.  
I have one spray bar on the Eheim 2075 but will have double the length spray bar on the Eheim 2080.

The new Eheim Pro 3 1200XL (2080) arrived on Friday. (This filter does not come with media).
I added 3 x Eheim 16mm taps with about 3 inches of hose ready for installation.
I like to be able to switch things off independently just in case and this filter comes with 2 x inlets and 1 x outlet, hence 3 taps.
I have ordered some extra 4L of Eheim Substrat Pro biological media that will arrive on Monday (15/05/2018) which will fill one media basket/tray. (This filter comes with 3 x big 4L media trays plus the big pre-filter).
I have also ordered an extra 2L of Eheim Mech that will also arrive on Monday; this will top up my existing Mech (bottom tray).
All the existing biological media from my existing filter will fill the middle tray.

The change over of filters was done on Monday.
I had a small problem priming the new filter then realised I had one of the inlet pipes and the oulet pipe the wrong way round. A quick swap over and it primed immediately (The Eheim taps that I fitted came in handy).
The Eheim 1200XL (2080) comes with two inlets and one outlet.
The flow rate with this new filter is superb.
What I do not like is the Eheim green pipes, green spray bar with Eheim printed in white and the grey strainers, they really do stand out in my tank, so I have ordered some black versions.

Monday (22/05/2017)
I have just bought 13 x Black Widow/Skirt Tetra (Gymnocorymbus ternetzi) from my local MA store to replace some other tetra. My local MA store generally have good quality fish.
w/c 27/05/2017
We also had proper gas central heating fitted with a combi-boiler. Those night storage heaters have now gone and the right-hand door is now back on.
Water changing should now be much easier.