Can't find my Amano Shrimp

Fantomas01
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 8 times

Hi everyone

I added a couple of reasonably big Amano shrimp to my tank a month or so ago, and I saw them fairly regularly for a few days, but over time they have become more and more elusive. I saw one briefly last week, but nothing since. I do have fish in there, but I would have thought the shrimp were large enough to not be eaten by my platies and guppies, although I do have a dwarf gourami as well.

I have checked with the lights off, like during the night, but still nothing. I have tried to tempt them out with a couple of algae wafers, pieces of blanched cucumber but they dont seem to come out for anything. My tank is pretty heavily planted especially with Hygrophila Siemensis 53B at the back.

I guess they could have perished, but everything else seems OK, and water parameters are stable.

I would like to have some shrimp so am considering purchasing more but if it's a bad idea to mix shrimp and fish I won't bother.

Thanks
Matthew
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 696 times
Been liked: 1686 times

I rarely see my Amano's in my planted tank, I thought I'd lost them but I seen two the other day. I don't know if a Dwarf Gourami would be capable of having them as a snack, I can't remember if I kept them together or not.
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
Drifty
Posting Legend
Has liked: 2117 times
Been liked: 761 times

I rarely see mine and my red cherry shrimps today I had to repair the tree... It collapse... I only saw 4 red cherry missing 2 and 3 Amano's no idea where they are.... but their in there somewhere. also heavy planted with guppies and platys.
Create Not Hate
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3422 times

Amanos are good at hiding, especially if they're moulting.
Gourami are prone to eat shrimp though, through pecking at them bit-by-bit, so, if the Amanos weren't quite big enough to avoid it, it is possible that they've been eaten.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3409 times

I used to have 2 x Amano shrimp, saw them for a few days and then they disappeared.
I saw them on the odd occasion then nothing. I assumed that they must of perished.
Then when I removed a piece of bogwood and placed it in a bowl to give it a scrub, the 2 x Amano shrimp fell off the bogwood and in to the bowl.
I netted them quickly and put them back in to the aquarium (they can move and jump when they want to).
Each time I removed that piece of bogwood to give it a scrub they appeared in the bottom of the bowl.
They can be very elusive.
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)