Operation Bankruptcy

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
KevB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 270 times

Just a couple of quick snaps. I did more severe cutting back of plants at the weekend to try to give the scape a bit more definition again though I have also added a few small new plants which I will have to keep an eye on if they take off. One of them's a crypt so from past experience could go either way, I have positioned it next to one that did survive from tank's early days so at least know its in the right place but that's no guarantee.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kunX4x]Image

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kunXKn]Image
KevB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Looks like I might have to get involved with some DIY film making at work soon so I thought I'd dig out some editing software and see if I could remember how to stitch a few scenes together. Hence this one's a bit longer than my usual 2 minute hack jobs.

https://vimeo.com/506305382

On a practical note I've noticed some marks on one of the torpedo barbs recently but haven't had chance for a good look. If any boffins here would like to offer an opinion it briefly pops into view around the 01:35 mark. I think it's physical damage from it perhaps grazing a rock or something but if it rings alarm bells with anyone feel free to chip in. If it was something contagious the chances of me isolating and catching it in this tank are pretty much zero anyway.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5446 times
Been liked: 2668 times

From what i can see it does look like a scrape or knock.
I keep forgetting how big some of your rainbows are :)
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5055 times
Been liked: 3424 times

I agree, it looks like damage rather than anything like columnaris.
KevB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Cheers guys, I will keep an eye on it but so far it doesn't seem compromised in any way behaviour wise. I did lose a fish a couple of weeks back, it was a freebie that was one of two passed on to me by a local shop. I suspect it might have either been an unknown extra in a shipment or something a customer had passed on to them maybe, hence I know nothing of its background. It was some sort of rainbow, which is why they gave it to me as they knew I kept them. I never worked out an exact species (it was female could have been a hybrid, still not 100% of the other). It seemed OK and grew well for a year but recently seemed to have breathing issues and finally was in a lot of distress so I had to euthanise. No visible signs of disease or flukes. Gills looked normal and all other fish breathing fine so not lack of oxygen in water.
Lee_k
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 330 times
Been liked: 676 times

Them rainbows are mighty impressive!
Bicher Congo Biotope Tank Log
Discus Tank Tank Log
Musk Turtle Tank Tank Log

Mbuna TankTank Log - Shut down
Turtle Falls tankTank Log - Shut down
Betta Tank 58l - Shut down
KevB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

I did actually look at a species I've never kept the other day. The shop wasn't officially allowing customers to go look at the fish but it was quiet and he'd sold me some rainbows last year so I was allowed a quick look at 3 Glossolepis dorityi but the lowest he would come down to was £60 for a male and 2 females so I passed it up.
Silenor

KevB wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 16:37 pm I did actually look at a species I've never kept the other day. The shop wasn't officially allowing customers to go look at the fish but it was quiet and he'd sold me some rainbows last year so I was allowed a quick look at 3 Glossolepis dorityi but the lowest he would come down to was £60 for a male and 2 females so I passed it up.
£60!???? Isn't that a bit outrageous?
KevB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

That was if I bought all 3, they were £25 individually. Welcome to the world of not-run-of-the-mill rainbows. You can pick up Boesmani, reds, turquoise etc for much less but some of the less common ones are really starting to get pricey now for good specimens. Even World of Water, which was one of my cheaper sources for some, are getting to the £15 mark. Maidenhead at Nottcuts have a good selection but most of the non common ones have been £20 each (or 6 for £100) for a few years now. If it carries on like this my next purchase might be a shoal of barbs!
Netsu
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 199 times

KevB wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 20:17 pm
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kunX4x]Image

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kunXKn]Image
Looks fantastic!