Lee_K - Gravel River Tank

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 869 times
Been liked: 1273 times

Lee_k wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:06 am Tell you what - Discus are a absolute pain in the a*** sometimes....

So last night I'm on my knees in front of the tank looking at the plants etc thinking about light adjustments, I see some eggs on the glass, literally only about 7 hmmm - are they snails? are they eggs and some have gone, was something laying and got disturbed...its probably snails - I know I'll grab a pic and put it online. The discus are all at front watching me during this time - Then I stand up, one of the discus (or maybe gourami) suddenly freaks out (I guess from me standing up) which then as anyone else that keeps discus knows causes outright chaos as if one gets spooked they all think there's a nuke heading directly to the tank and they must get behind a leaf or something asap - they all go nuts slamming into a few things pushing past anything they can (there's roots in there....).

So yeah then sudden all calm, one or 2 showing clamped fins but all just still as there starting to realize actually the only danger was maybe a bit of shadow....

But yeah - few of them with full on scrapes etc - guess its another 7 days of melafix then! - Might convert the inside of the tank to be like a kids soft play area :D
Hope they are ok. Oscar's the same, make each other jump and scrape themselves on anything. Melafix is as must have as food in our house!
Lee_k
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 330 times
Been liked: 676 times

Yep, same here Paul!

These were the what I presume snail/snail eggs? There were a few more on the side glass too

Bicher Congo Biotope Tank Log
Discus Tank Tank Log
Musk Turtle Tank Tank Log

Mbuna TankTank Log - Shut down
Turtle Falls tankTank Log - Shut down
Betta Tank 58l - Shut down
codheadjohn
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 126 times

Lee_k wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:06 am Tell you what - Discus are a absolute pain in the a*** sometimes....

So last night I'm on my knees in front of the tank looking at the plants etc thinking about light adjustments, I see some eggs on the glass, literally only about 7 hmmm - are they snails? are they eggs and some have gone, was something laying and got disturbed...its probably snails - I know I'll grab a pic and put it online. The discus are all at front watching me during this time - Then I stand up, one of the discus (or maybe gourami) suddenly freaks out (I guess from me standing up) which then as anyone else that keeps discus knows causes outright chaos as if one gets spooked they all think there's a nuke heading directly to the tank and they must get behind a leaf or something asap - they all go nuts slamming into a few things pushing past anything they can (there's roots in there....).

So yeah then sudden all calm, one or 2 showing clamped fins but all just still as there starting to realize actually the only danger was maybe a bit of shadow....

But yeah - few of them with full on scrapes etc - guess its another 7 days of melafix then! - Might convert the inside of the tank to be like a kids soft play area :D
Hope they're ok. What a nuisance that they do that. I thought the dither fish not panicking was supposed to help. Doesn't help me, my Cardinals poo their pants every time I go near the tank. I'm hoping they grow out of that, but half of them won't even go near the food if I'm watching.
Lee_k
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Yeah dither fish give them confidence and there fine - up until something is spooked, then everythings spooked!
Discus Tank Tank Log

stechappo
Has liked: 530 times
Been liked: 586 times

I have the complete opposite problem, when I go near my tank to try watch some natural fish behaviour they just assume it is feeding time and go nuts at the water surface :)
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 696 times
Been liked: 1686 times

Second that, I'm sure one of mine gave itself brain damage a few weeks ago, hasn't been the same since! It's always over nothing new as well, like a tetra swimming past!
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1785 times
Been liked: 4202 times

I shouldn’t laugh but 😂
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3423 times

The eggs look like cory eggs to me. ;)
Lee_k
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

There are sterbai corys in there! - although pretty sure all the eggs have gone now! im sure the tetra or polka dots enjoyed!
Discus Tank Tank Log

Lee_k
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Quick update on this tank -

I've reduced the peak light time and light at most times by 10% as i'd noticed some algae was picking up, also to fight the algae I've added more plants!

Last week I added - rotala rotundifolia, ludwigia palustris red (thats green...) and a ammania pedicellata gold?

Then this week I added - 2 x Alternanthera cardinalis variegata and a pogostemon stellatus

Right hand of the tank (in my opinion at least) is now starting to really work!

The Snow Albino with the suspected tumour is still going strong and seems to be fine for now

And a snap of the two tanks:

Discus Tank Tank Log