Old Photographs - *Everyone please read*

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Forum suggestion always welcome. All things non-fishy related.
Jon_D
Posting Legend
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 774 times

Fanny Stanford came from Bishop Auckland, not far from here. :shy:
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4245 times
Been liked: 3908 times

Jon_D wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 16:39 pm Fanny Stanford came from Bishop Auckland, not far from here. :shy:
Yes, next question @Jon_D?
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 856 times
Been liked: 1824 times

My mum has spent years collating photographs and trying to get names to faces. Made more difficult by her Dad being illegitimate but nobody finding out until the 70s(?) and then finding out his real mum was the woman who’d raised him as a “distant cousin”. His sisters were furious when they found out he was their real brother (and more so with their husbands who had been let in on the secret after marriage but sworn never to tell their wives?!). My mum has a photograph of who she thinks is her grandfather but it’s proving next to impossible to find out more. A name was given but might not be the real one etc.
I need to spend some time with her, going through the collection. Not easy living 3 hours away and my son wouldn’t cope staying for a visit.
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
mikeyw64
Posting Legend
Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 1275 times

Been looking at my Famnily Tree recently which has been interesting.

Always knew my Grandfather on my Dads side was a Police Constable in the Rhondda Valley in the 20's and that his Father (my Great Grandfather) was a Police Constable on the Met. Also knew that Great Grandfather on my dads mothers side was a Police Constable in Tredegar but what I did find was one of my Dads Grand Uncles on his dads side was also a Police Constable in the Somerset COnstabulary, which my dad wasn't aware of.

Amongst other snippets I've dug up is that my Grandparents on my Dads side (Fred & Rosina [who I knew as Grandma Rose]) were actually cousins (which he wasn't aware of)

Also came across a newspaper article from the Merthyr Express in 1927 describing my Grandparents wedding which my dad is putting with the pictures he has.

And also my Great Grandfathers Pension details from the Met(again not seen previously by my dad)

Oh and one more thing I'm slightly less Welsh than I thought I was lol.

Yes I was born in Cardiff and my Dad in Pontypridd but once you start going back on his dads side we're all predominantly from Somerset & a touch of Devon whilst on his mothers side it's predominantly Shropshire (which my parents didn't know and coincidentally where they retired too) but in fairness (or chwarae teg) also back into Cardingshire
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

@mikeyw64, coming from a long tradition of police officers, what made you ignore that and become Captain Birdseye?

It’s really nice to have dates on photographs aswell.
mantis
Has liked: 691 times
Been liked: 252 times

@Stephen How much information can you get from building a family tree? Like do you find out what ancestors did for work etc..? I don't really know who my family were but I've been interested in looking for while, if I ever build up the courage lol.
black ghost
Posting Legend

@Stephen just curious, how far back can you usually go?
mikeyw64
Posting Legend
Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 1275 times

black ghost wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 17:46 pm @mikeyw64, coming from a long tradition of police officers, what made you ignore that and become Captain Birdseye?

It’s really nice to have dates on photographs aswell.
My dad wasn't Police either. After National Service with REME he was a carpenter :)
black ghost
Posting Legend

mikeyw64 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 17:56 pm
My dad wasn't Police either. After National Service with REME he was a carpenter :)
Richard I presume, and not Karen. ;)
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3409 times

mantis wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 17:52 pm @Stephen How much information can you get from building a family tree? Like do you find out what ancestors did for work etc..? I don't really know who my family were but I've been interested in looking for while, if I ever build up the courage lol.
Yes, where they lived, occupation etc..
I'll send you a PM. ;)
black ghost wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 17:54 pm @Stephen just curious, how far back can you usually go?
Generally about 200 years or a little over.
I would need church records to back further.
I can build a tree in about 24 hours with some basic info, parents name (maiden name) where born, grandparents names are handy too.
If interested then just PM me and I'll get working on your family tree (no charge).

I was playing with someone's family tree earlier today adding a few names, dates etc..
Ancestry is one of those things that comes naturally to me.
I sometimes pick a name from the obituary column of my local paper and build a family tree, I find it so interesting.

All the best
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)