Buying a new Aquarium recommendations and advice please

Found a LFS you rate highly? Post the details here.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

@PaulVerrall I must ask, as I have heard this so often after someone has purchased a large aquarium... You have checked and measured whether or not you can get such a tank though all the doors of your house or not? :dodgy2:
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 869 times
Been liked: 1273 times

Martinspuddle wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 8:26 am @PaulVerrall I must ask, as I have heard this so often after someone has purchased a large aquarium... You have checked and measured whether or not you can get such a tank though all the doors of your house or not? :dodgy2:
I haven't actually measured but I'm going by the fact our sofa went in lol fingers crossed
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

PaulVerrall wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 8:45 am
Martinspuddle wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 8:26 am @PaulVerrall I must ask, as I have heard this so often after someone has purchased a large aquarium... You have checked and measured whether or not you can get such a tank though all the doors of your house or not? :dodgy2:
I haven't actually measured but I'm going by the fact our sofa went in lol fingers crossed
Do bare in mind a sofa is soft and pliable. A 6" x 2" x 2" aquarium or bigger although might be able come though the front door but inner doors can be last plus the weight of a large aquarium you may need three or four strong individuals.

Someone years ago I knew, a reefkeeper who was really confident that a 7" ft x 2" ft x 30" inch tank was going to go in with two blokes no problem at all and yes it wasn't a small house either but... he soon eat his words! Seven people, mats, trolleys, bits of wood, grazed knuckles, the front door and frames removed plus inner two door frames removed, it was finally in situ. The cabinet was a different story, that had to be disassembled before we could even get it in. Another occasion, friend of mine Mike, had to take out the living room window out, then refill it. :]

I'm just trying warn you from someone who's had large aquariums and helped others move them, the pit fulls that come with large, very heavy glass aquariums. Sometimes you need to check door frame sizes and have a plan of how it going to come inside before taking house apart and upsetting the missus. Having a aquarium built on site which isn't that much more expensive and can be a lot easier.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Martinspuddle wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:09 am
PaulVerrall wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 8:45 am
Do bare in mind a sofa is soft and pliable. A 6" x 2" x 2" aquarium or bigger although might be able come though the front door but inner doors can be last plus the weight of a large aquarium you may need three or four strong individuals.

Someone years ago I knew, a reefkeeper who was really confident that a 7" ft x 2" ft x 30" inch tank was going to go in with two blokes no problem at all and yes it wasn't a small house either but... he soon eat his words! Seven people, mats, trolleys, bits of wood, grazed knuckles, the front door and frames removed plus inner two door frames removed, it was finally in situ. The cabinet was a different story, that had to be disassembled before we could even get it in. Another occasion, friend of mine Mike, had to take out the living room window out, then refill it. :]

I'm just trying warn you from someone who's had large aquariums and helped others move them, the pit fulls that come with large, very heavy glass aquariums. Sometimes you need to check door frame sizes and have a plan of how it going to come inside before taking house apart and upsetting the missus. Having a aquarium built on site which isn't that much more expensive and can be a lot easier.
Thanks, I think I'll heed your warning, I will get a couple of the lads at work to knock me up my tank size out of thick cardboard so I can have a dummy run. Luckily no stairs to contend with and I'll make sure I have enough guys!

I was all ready to pull the trigger and order but I'm getting bogged down by details, I was going for the fluval fx6 but now I'm liking the Oase with heaters fitted in them.

A pal is trying to convince me to go with a sump tho. I'm so confused!!!
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

PaulVerrall wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:31 am
Thanks, I think I'll heed your warning, I will get a couple of the lads at work to knock me up my tank size out of thick cardboard so I can have a dummy run. Luckily no stairs to contend with and I'll make sure I have enough guys!

I was all ready to pull the trigger and order but I'm getting bogged down by details, I was going for the fluval fx6 but now I'm liking the Oase with heaters fitted in them.

A pal is trying to convince me to go with a sump tho. I'm so confused!!!
[/quote]

Re the sofa: they sometimes come in pieces, too, with the armrests getting reattached once inside.

Good idea with the cardboard model. If you need to squish it, you know the tank won't fit.

With regards to your details: the more people you ask, the more options you will be offered. Take a step back, revisit your first preferred option (because something obviously appealed to you there) and then consider what the advantages of any of the other options are over your first choice, how much 'better' / easier they truly are. (For myself, I have learnt to stick with my first choice - always. Any later options, where I changed my mind, something never quite worked out. But that is just my experience :) )
thebendyfox
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 149 times

PaulVerrall wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:31 am A pal is trying to convince me to go with a sump tho. I'm so confused!!!
Whats the reasoning? Costs vs. the value of a tank with minimal pipework I guess.
Alea iacta est

::60ltr Community Tank:: - Cockatoo Cichlid Pair; Cockatoo Cichlid Fry, 12x Cherry Barbs; 6x Amano Shrimp
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

thebendyfox wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:00 am
PaulVerrall wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:31 am A pal is trying to convince me to go with a sump tho. I'm so confused!!!
Whats the reasoning? Costs vs. the value of a tank with minimal pipework I guess.
Just looking at which is the best way to go, as far as I can see, to have a sump will cost about the same as buying 2 fx6s, I think one fx6 would be enough but 2 will make sure to clear dead spots etc.

From what I read a sump is the best kind of filtration you can have, but I have no experience of it
thebendyfox
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 149 times

As ever the argument is on-going, its certainly the most "natural" filtration you can have - and it also increases the tanks water volume, making it more stable and less prone to variations in the water. Its also much easier to remove mechanical clutter from the tank, as you can fit all your heaters etc in the sump - leaving the tank itself to have only the inlet and outlet to the sump.

The main draw-back is cost and space. Personally I would only consider it for big tanks where I have a lot of space under the tank for both the sump AND the general stuff you need (Food, Net, Test kit etc).
Alea iacta est

::60ltr Community Tank:: - Cockatoo Cichlid Pair; Cockatoo Cichlid Fry, 12x Cherry Barbs; 6x Amano Shrimp
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

You could also plant up the sump to lower nitrates.... ;)
Andys temperate tank
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Has liked: 4378 times
Been liked: 2896 times

plankton wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:43 am You could also plant up the sump to lower nitrates.... ;)
Bet pauls brain is going into overdrive now thanks to that thought plankton.
64l kitchen tank: 16 golden tetra.
5ft 425L: 3 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 24 corydoras duplicareas,2 SAE.