Paul V's Big Tank Log

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
Netsu
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 199 times

PaulVerrall wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 20:58 pm

Absolutely stunning! I love how simple the decor is, really accentuates the fish. 😍
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 869 times
Been liked: 1273 times

Just completed a water change of just over two thirds had a clean and rearrange of the rocks.

The albino tiger is by far my favourite, he has such a lovely temperament, he'll happily sit in my hand and is super submissive, won't start any trouble, he's around 9" now.

The little albino red oscar is 6" and is a loveable rogue, always upto something!

The big 11" tiger is a moody so and so. Can throw his weight around when he wants to, doesn't do any damage but likes to show he's the boss.

The 10" tiger is another submissive lovely fish, all he wants to do is swim next to the boss, they are practically inseparable unless the boss has got one on him, but doesn't last long.

The parrots may as well not exist to the oscars, they can head boof the oscars, get in their way etc the oscars pay them no attention at all.

I know as the oscars get into adulthood there's a strong possibility I'll have to separate and rehome, I dread that day, as they are all super tame and brilliant personalities.

Little blue polar has been alone since he mate the convict went quite a while ago, so set the qt tank up and have 3 babies coming tomorrow, hopefully get a male for her.

Talking of quarantine, I'm in it too, daughter tested positive for covid. She has a temp and cough but is OK, not badly ill, more like a cold. The wife and I are testing daily hoping we don't get it as the days are hot and long here and work is piling up at work, more isolation would not go down well. That said, thankful we are fit and well, not everyone has come through this with just some isolation, my heart is with those less fortunate.
Last edited by PaulVerrall on Wed Jul 21, 2021 14:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1773 times
Been liked: 4164 times

looking good :D
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Baby Convict, Pink Convict and a marbled Convict

My first ever fish by Post. From tropco, they arrived at 12.50pm, 10 mins inside the allotted time.
First thing is they are much smaller than advertised, but all seem to be in good shape.
My filter is a lot more powerful than I remember so I've aimed it straight at the back, when in the centre/right of the tank the little ones are OK, if they venture top left they get blown abit. Not sure if I'll change it as I don't think convicts like fast flowing too much.
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

I took this picture with TOTM aspirations but after seeing the other entries I put it in here instead lol I think it's a combination of my poor photography skills, aquasky lights not set perfectly and a not so great camera!

The Oscars are all getting on well again, maybe they've sorted the hierarchy out, or just the temperature has cooled down to normal again, but they are all swimming together.

Having Covid has its advantages, I've got to see a lot more of the fish, with the lights on and off, they still mesmerise me.
Yesterday a bee found its way into the lounge, the lids were off the tank as I'd been doing something earlier. We opened all the windows for the bee to escape and let him get on with it.
He flew around a bit, in a peaceful kind of way and went over the tank hovering around. I've never seen the oscars move so fast, they were like missiles, lining themselves up to strike, I wish I could of filmed it, but it was over in a couple of seconds, the bee flew off safe and sound and the oscars resumed the constant begging dance for food! An amazing little snapshot into their nature behaviour. They do jump out to take food from my hand, but this was different, looked really natural.

The boss, I think

The smallest is having a growth spurt
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1773 times
Been liked: 4164 times

Get it entered! Not everyone loves a planted tank, so you never know
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

As @Fr499y said get it entered ;)
As for fish and insects, the first 40 seconds of this video of my fry shows that hunting instinct :)
https://youtu.be/NlfP-rq43lg
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

That's well cool
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 337 times

Gingerlove05 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:49 am As @Fr499y said get it entered ;)
As for fish and insects, the first 40 seconds of this video of my fry shows that hunting instinct :)
Now I don't feel as guilty about my cat doing the same to them!
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

LookoutTrout wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:16 am
Gingerlove05 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:49 am As @Fr499y said get it entered ;)
Now I don't feel as guilty about my cat doing the same to them!
Yeah its not just cats that go for the bugs, or do you mean the cats go for the fish? 😳
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!