The Zebra Pleco Tank (L046)

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 438 times
Been liked: 844 times

Just some neighbours hanging out.

Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Today I just went for it. Cleared out all the black gravel and swapped it for sand. Took just over 2hrs including trying to sex all my remaining zebra plecs. Really happy with the result and hope the zebs prefer the softer sand than the gravel.

Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

The plan worked!

The whole point of replacing the fine gravel with fine sand was to make sure the zebras were comfortable in their caves. I noticed gravel always got in and it might have been a little rough for them. I also did a huge water change (had to to get the old substrate out) and added X2 pregnant sword tails. I was hoping the birthing pheromones may inspire some breeding. Whether it's today's storms, the water change, the new substrate, the drop in temperature or what I don't know, but while I was scooping out newly born sword tail fry tonight I wafted out what I'm hoping is a zebra egg! At last!

I took videos of 4 zebs I thought may have a chance of being female (although I actually thought I had just 10 males) and a few people said 2 or 3 could be female. At least one has to be.

Sadly in my excitement of rushing to set up my egg tumbler and trying to shake sand out the net I sadly damaged the egg. Not only did it look fertile, I'm pretty sure it wiggled a bit as it dropped into the tumbler. Eggs aren't tough like Cory eggs it seems.

At least I know I have females (I was about to sell the group and give up if no females) and fertile eggs can and should happen again. Plus there may be more in a cave or crevice somewhere. Who knows.

That's my exciting news for the night. New sword tails and hopefully the start of breeding zebra plecos.

Heres a pic of the egg in the net and one of the 4 second old sword tail. Who knew they were so transparent. The red bit is actually its heart and you can clearly see it beating in person!

black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

Congratulations and good luck.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

Well done! Fingers crossed for this one and more in the future! :D
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 696 times
Been liked: 1686 times

Nice, fingers crossed there's more!
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Thanks everyone! Someone on the zebra forum said it should be more white to be a zebra egg, and this might be a sword tail. I'm not convinced. Looked like the zebra egg that came with just the zebras when I bought the last lot. Although I can be sure as I smushed it in transit. Time will tell for others I guess. Rekindled the hope and excitement at least. Guess I'll be keeping the group a while longer yet.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

If it were a swordtail it wouldn't have the blue eye or egg sac, unless it was premature, then it would either be smaller or dead...... ;)
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5447 times
Been liked: 2668 times

plankton wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:53 am If it were a swordtail it wouldn't have the blue eye or egg sac, unless it was premature, then it would either be smaller or dead...... ;)
I thought it look weird for a swordtail fry and I couldn’t pinpoint why aside for the egg sac. So i was just assuming really young/maybe premature :rolleyes:
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

plankton wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:53 am If it were a swordtail it wouldn't have the blue eye or egg sac, unless it was premature, then it would either be smaller or dead...... ;)
The fry with yellow belly a d blue eyes is deffo a sword tail. Some still alive today. Most came out like that. I don't remember them being so yellow and bulgy belly or being able to see their hearts before. May well be premature.

What do you make of the egg type thing in the net? Sword tail or zebra?

As it dropped into the egg tumbler and split, this wiggly bit came out. Its about. 0.4mm wide and about 5mm long. Photo is super zoomed in on my phone hence the poor quality. Its a very under developed something, but still not sure which.