Sick Congo Tetra - diagnosis and treatments?

Tetras, Hatchetfish, Pencilfish, Other Characin Fish (Silver Dollar, Headstander, Leporinus)
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 435 times
Been liked: 836 times

One of my Congos has recently got flakey skin is the best way I can describe it. Not cotton wool like or raised scales, just a load of white flakey bits. Any thoughts on what it is or what meds to order? Might general cure him tomorrow unless I get a better suggestion. He seems to be breathing a bit faster than the others, but still buoyant and swimming about. Not quite as aggressive as the others at feeding time.

:cry:
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 1387 times

Is it coming out from between the scales or is it growing in the scales? If it’s coming out from inside it’s systemic and probably fungal. If it’s on the scales it could be protozoan. It looks like the description of Epistylis. I would treat with Protozin. I’m not familiar with general cure.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

Sounds like the way forward as @black ghost suggests.
F3l1ss
Has liked: 1032 times
Been liked: 323 times

Poor thing, looks like it's missing the top bit of its mouth too? Hope you can treat it in time!
Small tank - 125L - 7 Corydoras sterbai, 2 Melanotaenia herbertaxelrodi
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Been doing more research and Salt baths and bacterial treatments are recommended. He's had a salt bath yesterday and today and in a hospital tank with general cure before I try the whitespot type stuff. He's still in the game, but it's like the disease is starting to eat away at between his scales. Thankfully nobody else in the tank is showing any signs. Another 2 days of salty baths and general cure, then it's onto the next med. From what I read he needs antibiotics really, but the shipping from America is about a month and I can't see him lasting that long if he doesn't get them sooner.
mantis
Has liked: 691 times
Been liked: 252 times

Si4geckos wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 22:13 pm Been doing more research and Salt baths and bacterial treatments are recommended. He's had a salt bath yesterday and today and in a hospital tank with general cure before I try the whitespot type stuff. He's still in the game, but it's like the disease is starting to eat away at between his scales. Thankfully nobody else in the tank is showing any signs. Another 2 days of salty baths and general cure, then it's onto the next med. From what I read he needs antibiotics really, but the shipping from America is about a month and I can't see him lasting that long if he doesn't get them sooner.
Really hoping for a positive outcome here, he's a lovely fish. Hopefully the treatment works out and he's back in the tank in no time :)
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

mantis wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 22:56 pm
Si4geckos wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 22:13 pm Been doing more research and Salt baths and bacterial treatments are recommended. He's had a salt bath yesterday and today and in a hospital tank with general cure before I try the whitespot type stuff. He's still in the game, but it's like the disease is starting to eat away at between his scales. Thankfully nobody else in the tank is showing any signs. Another 2 days of salty baths and general cure, then it's onto the next med. From what I read he needs antibiotics really, but the shipping from America is about a month and I can't see him lasting that long if he doesn't get them sooner.
Really hoping for a positive outcome here, he's a lovely fish. Hopefully the treatment works out and he's back in the tank in no time :)
Appreciate that. I feel like I got them too big. I bought them last year because they were huge, but maybe they're coming to the end of their life span. Started off with 12 and already down to 9. They seem to go downhill fast, but it is the biggest ones that have been affected. I saw some on Instagram that someone described as years old and full grown, but they looked much smaller and less stocky than mine. Feel like I should've got juveniles. Fingers crossed this one pulls through.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

Always a problem with older fish Si.
You never know how they've been looked after previously (diet, tank size, water quality, etc.).
I hope it pulls through.
Salt baths are often surprisingly effective for all sorts of pathogens, but not just adding salt to the tank.
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

His skin started looking a little better, but there were a couple of large red areas that looked very sore and sadly he gave up today. At least I had a go at saving him.
lunar jetman
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 122 times

Si4geckos wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 16:49 pm His skin started looking a little better, but there were a couple of large red areas that looked very sore and sadly he gave up today. At least I had a go at saving him.
Sorry to hear that, At least you did what you could.
311l 48x18x22