Mark on new galaxy rasbora

Barbs, Danios, Rasboras, Sharks, Golfish, Koi.
Tycho
Has liked: 361 times
Been liked: 156 times

Had a bit of a wasted trip to pick something up that my wife bought on facebook (2 swings but there had been mix up and someone else had collected the one)... it was 30 min each way so not the end of the world but still annoying!

Anyway, decided to stop off at a Maidenhead aquatics on the way home... just so the trip wasn't a complete bust 😆

Picked up 6 otto's (blimey they've shot up in price since lockdown 🤯), 6 galaxy rasbora's and an orange cory to join my other 5.

Anyway... not long switched the light on and I've noticed a mark on one of the rasbora's, is it anything to worry about?

Also, the orange cory is quite a bit lighter than the others... is it just a case of that it will colour up once settled?

Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

With your Galaxy Rasbora (or Celestial Pearl Danio - can never remember which one is the correct name), it seems the scales are still intact. Not sure whether the white patch is an infection or a bruise or some injury. He is certainly not feeling well, looking at the clamped fins. It might be a case of watching this one, keeping the water pristine and, if anything, just dose a ''tonic'' to keep background bacteria levels low to prevent any infection setting in.

The cory, to me, looks just like a new addition and hence the lighter colour. Unless it is a lighter strain (if there is such a thing) I would expect it to settle in and show a deeper colour over time.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3423 times

Stress colours from being caught and transported by the looks.
Melafix will lower the stress in the cory - it may even help with the healing for the CPD (they ain't Galaxies and haven't been for years - I'm amazed shops still label them incorrectly :rolleyes: ).
Tycho

Thanks both!

I added a bit of melafix when I added the fish, I always do now (pretty sure someone on here recommended it).

Rik - I hadn't even noticed the clamped fins 🙈... what do you mean by adding a tonic?

Plankton - they were labeled as Celestial Pearl Danio tbf but I've always known them as galaxy rasboras and also I struggle with fish names at the best of times!
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

I was thinking of something like esha optima or Interpet Disease Away (previously known as General Tonic, No 5). They are not medications, as such, but will suppress what they call ''background bacteria levels'', i.e. something that is around all the time anyway, so that any stressed fish or those that look somewhat 'under the weather' can perk up, strengthen and then fight off normal bacteria levels.
Tycho

Thanks Rik! Pretty sure I've seen esha optima at the lfs so will be a good excuse to pop in 😁

Should I dose more melafix for the cpd?
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

You could just complete a course of melafix first and see how things are, both with your cory and the CPD. If the patch on CPD develops further in some way, it might need ''proper meds''. If not, the general tonic may help the fish to recover.
I am just a bit weary of using to many treatments at the same time. Rather give one a chance to work before deciding whether another one is needed.
CapS
Been liked: 1 time

Hey,
I think I have the same on my CPDs, started seeing it a few days after returning from the shop. Looks like I have 2 affected now. Started with discolouration, now looks larger, and a bit of a growth on the area.
I did a week's treatment of melafix, and then a week's treatment of pimafix, with a water change each week. Not much of a change, certainly no improvement but no other fish affected.
Just quarantined the sick one just in case.
Any luck curing or diagnosing this?

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3423 times

Welcome to the forum CapS. :)
Sorry to see your new inmates have a problem. :(
I've not seen anything like that, but it looks fungal from the pics. You'll need an anti-fungal.
Out of curiosity, what is the hardness of your water as they do need some hardness for optimum health?
DoubleDutch
Posting Legend
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 134 times

There is "something" going on in CPD's since some time which seems to be untreatable which points me towards something viral (no.proof).