Stressed Betta, glass surfing

Betta's, Gouramis etc
Foxie0h
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 12 times

Hi all,

My beautiful Betta is seriously surfing.

I’ve rehomed her into my community tank.

In the tank I have 2 baby plecos, 2 baby balloon mollies, 5 neon terras and 3 fully grown assassin snails.

I have 2 air stones, and it’s well circulated. Plenty of plants and hiding places.

Tank is 105 litres, running at

GH - 60
KH - 40
PH - 6.5
NO3 is up to 40 - putting down to adding her to the tank.
NO2 is at 0
Ammonia at 0

Temperature is between 24.8 and 25.8 degrees.

I am still running the old tank in case she does take.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Foxie0h on Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pegler89
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

I had a sword surf a lot. It was stressful to watch her. I introduced a couple more ladies for her which helped a little. Then I changed my scape around and brought in a much larger feature. She has since been calm.

I trust all your levels are fine. This is what everyone 1st asked me. It baffled me for days why she was surfing. One day she just didn’t. Please don’t take this as yours doing the same but something is bugging her. For me I’m still not sure if it was something I done or not.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

Is this a male or female betta?
If male, why have you added it to a tank with mollies? (It won't be big enough for the mollies long term, they need at least a 4' tank ;) )
Mollies are hardwater fish, bettas soft.
Foxie0h

Female Betta, hence the her/she in the original post.

The tank will be upgraded eventually, they’re young mollies and will eventually be rehomed into a 250 litre.

I read on a few sites that mollies and female Bettas make good tank mates.
Foxie0h

My local fish shop also advised me the mollys are fine in a 100 litre, but it is only a starter tank for them whilst we make space for a larger tank.
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

If you have only just introduced her to the tank, she needs to get to know her new home. So glass surfing is quite normal for new fish to do and should settle after a few days.
One other thing to consider is was her previous tank a lot calmer, in terms of water flow, and she might be struggling a little with a stronger flow in the new tank? Again, might only be a temporary issue until she finds her bearings, just something to keep an eye on.
Foxie0h

Ric wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:59 am If you have only just introduced her to the tank, she needs to get to know her new home. So glass surfing is quite normal for new fish to do and should settle after a few days.
One other thing to consider is was her previous tank a lot calmer, in terms of water flow, and she might be struggling a little with a stronger flow in the new tank? Again, might only be a temporary issue until she finds her bearings, just something to keep an eye on.
There isn’t much difference in terms of flow, and she was in with some tetras so she has been with other fish. both tanks are pretty settled. One of my mollies did initially take an interest and gave her a nip, but that was on introduction and they seem to be ignoring each other now. The tank is next to my tv so as long as there’s football on, I’m in front of the tank 😂😂

I’ll keep an eye on her. The other tank is still running as my tetras are still in there. She’s feeding, and she isn’t lethargic so it may just be that. Fingers crossed.

Cheers
WinterRose73
Posting Legend
Has liked: 822 times
Been liked: 693 times

When I first brought one of my male bettas, he literally spent all his time glass surfing at the back of the tank. Bottom left, up diagonally to the heater, across along the tank, back down again.
Rinse and repeat. He stopped after a day or two. I assume it was a combination of stress from being bagged, new environment, new water and so on.

Other than some issues with tail and fins (Evil Neons) he is now perfectly chilled and just potters around. Hopefully your female will settle down.
'Take wasps,' Death continued. 'Wasps are made entirely from bastard. Whose grand design are they part of?'
Foxie0h

WinterRose73 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 13:51 pm When I first brought one of my male bettas, he literally spent all his time glass surfing at the back of the tank. Bottom left, up diagonally to the heater, across along the tank, back down again.
Rinse and repeat. He stopped after a day or two. I assume it was a combination of stress from being bagged, new environment, new water and so on.

Other than some issues with tail and fins (Evil Neons) he is now perfectly chilled and just potters around. Hopefully your female will settle down.
That’s reassuring thank you.

Strangely, that’s exactly what she’s doing, left hand rear of the tank, up and down and in circles. Fingers crossed she settles.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

Have you got enough high cover for her, they do stay a bit higher than other fish, and she'll be sharing area with the mollies?