Do CPDs make noise?

Barbs, Danios, Rasboras, Sharks, Golfish, Koi.
rom

I've recently bought some new celestial pearl danios, a group of 6 that I keep in a heavily planted 40L. They've been in the tank for a week now. One is deformed I think? (missing a doral fin), I dosed melafix for the first few days but stopped as they all seemed to be healthy and happy. No repetative behaviour, the swim in and out of the plants have even spawned!

Sometimes when they're sparring with eachother, one makes a really sudden move (like a darting motion) and I can clearly hear a a 'tap' or 'click' sound, like if you were to tap a wood with your fingernail but a little muffled. I'm worried that they might be hitting the glass or decoration but It's so fast I can't really see. They don't seem any worse for wear after. With the volume of the sound, you'd think they would be quite dazed if they were hitting something, which makes me think it's not that. There are no marks on their body, no signs of injury. I was wondering if they were actually producing that sound within?

Has anyone experienced this before? Should I be worried?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by rom on Tue Oct 06, 2020 18:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mantis
Has liked: 691 times
Been liked: 252 times

My Lemon tetras do the same, I think it's them hitting the glass.
rom

Hmm, that doesn't sound good. Have yours ever shows any negatives from hitting the glass like that. If mine are they seem to be hitting it pretty hard? I will say it doesn't sound like something hitting the glass but i'm not sure
Last edited by rom on Tue Oct 06, 2020 18:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

I had CPDs in my 100l, cant say i ever heard them click or make any sound. They are a zippy bunch when they decide to get going.
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

Loaches click and corys squeak (as do Raphael catfish), I've not heard any other fish make sounds, but that doesn't mean they can't.
One of my bristlenoses (the largest on his own) delights in knocking things on the glass. The filter has been wrecked and the thermometer is always halfway around the tank by water change day....... :rolleyes:
I would be surprised if they do, but also quite interested.