Cory eggs... doing the right thing?

Tycho
Has liked: 361 times
Been liked: 156 times

When looking at the tanks in the garage tonight I noticed what I can only assume are cory eggs, I rubbed the off into a little tubberware tub that I then floated and put an air stone in, I added a shrimp with the plan being that it will eat the fungus off any eggs that have gone bad.

Is this the right thing to do or is there a setup which would be better suited? Also, does it matter that I used my fingers to get the eggs off the glass and leaf? I always read of people using a bank card but I was struggling to get to it.

BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 696 times
Been liked: 1686 times

Sounds good to me, I've never used a shrimp though. Not sure if one would nibble on the eggs?

Definitely Cory eggs though 😁
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3423 times

Whatever you do don't put a snail in with them. They will eat the eggs.
I don't think shrimp will, but you can use Melafix or meth blue to keep away fungus.
Tycho

plankton wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:47 am Whatever you do don't put a snail in with them. They will eat the eggs.
I don't think shrimp will, but you can use Melafix or meth blue to keep away fungus.
How much melafix should I add? They are just in a small tub... guessing around 500ml
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3423 times

Just a dash, you don't need a full treatment as they should hatch after 3-7 days if they're fertile (and the dark ones probably are). :)
Tycho

Went out the garage to get a beer... little early I know but cooking pancakes (my nan always taught me to put a little dash of beer in pancakes 😁) so that my excuse and I'm sticking to it...

Any way I was greeted by ...

Am I okay to put them in with week old fry? Also, very annoyingly I forgot to turn the filter down so lost about half the eggs down the bottom of the tank and unfortunately the blend in perfectly.
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

I quite often put eggs in with young fry, I don't know of its right or wrong though.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4245 times
Been liked: 3908 times

From what I've seen and read Neocaridina Shrimp seem to be fine fish eggs and keep everything clean and tidy.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Jon_D
Posting Legend
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 774 times

@Tycho , are those eggs really yellow? All the eggs my Corys lay are white.
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

Jon_D wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 23:14 pm @Tycho , are those eggs really yellow? All the eggs my Corys lay are white.
They generally start white and move to a more beige colour. White after a couple of days are infertile.