Terrarium/Riparium/Paludarium

jammedfool
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 301 times

This little corner of the forum seems a little quiet, but I've been loving some youtube recently from a guy called Serpadesign https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGzXtN ... NWFme1bG0g

He does some great scapes with land features and it has inspired me...

A little while ago I got some sheets of perspex/acrylic from by brother inlaw... they're offcuts, but big offcuts - 100cm x 32cm and 71cm x 88cm
This leaves plenty of room for imagination in terms of building a new tank.

My constraints are:
I need a new lid for the Qtank (32x20 should do it)
I need a new lid for the 40L tank (roughly 30x45 or slightly shorter)

So with that in mind, I started using trusty old MS paint to draw out my plans for cuts. several iterations of designs have been made:

30x30x30cm tank with spare for lids
or
70x23x23cm tank with a divider for breeding (no lid for this)
or
30x30x30cm tank + 30x20x20cm tank (but no lids)

Finally, I think I've settled on the following design:

Roughly 30x40 base with 50-60cm rear and 30-40cm front, with sloped sides and a hinged lid(s) on the slope for access. Just need to make the most pleasant proportions to the eye...
This should allow me to create 2 new lids for the existing tanks.

So here is my project for the next week/however long it takes... To build a paludarium!

I have ordered myself a 600L/h pump off amazon which will do nicely for a waterfall. Also ordered some eggcrate and correx for getting some structure and a filter media housing. @fr499y supplied the rocks for hardscaping (Thank you! ::thumb:: )
I'll plant it with what I have (Anubias, Bacopa carolina, java moss, hygrophilia siamensis), but will may need to add some plants for the land part.
Not sure what to keep in it, perhaps just shrimps, or I was wondering about some temperate species of fish.
Maybe some small critters on the land section that are unlikely to get in the water, or ones which readily multiply and fall in the water, feeding the aquatic population.

There's my vision, just hope it doesnt turn out like Homer's barbecue
40L nano
4x xiphophorus pygmaeus
Cherry shrimp
2x assassin snail

80L 'stairway'
4x Cherry Barb
10x X-ray tetra
4x Amano
1x Dwarf Neon Rainbow

20L Qtank
just java moss
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

Should of said about a pump! I have so many spares that I could sort you out with if needed lol

SerpaDesign does some pretty neat stuff. One of a few channels I watch if I get some spare time.
jammedfool

fr499y wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:03 pm Should of said about a pump! I have so many spares that I could sort you out with if needed lol

SerpaDesign does some pretty neat stuff. One of a few channels I watch if I get some spare time.
Thank you, I'll bear that in mind if I ever get into a fix!
This one was under £5 and it comes with a length of pipe which should reach the top of my envisioned waterfall, https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1
Plus, I had £100 amazon voucher from work so cost me £0 :D

I like his one about the free terrarium, though in the UK I guess it doesnt work as well with various laws on picking wild plants & rocks etc.
I'm also going to gather some random bits and bobs from my garden to do a Douwe Egberts jar closed terrarium - this is my first attempt at something like though, so we'll see how that goes...
40L nano
4x xiphophorus pygmaeus
Cherry shrimp
2x assassin snail

80L 'stairway'
4x Cherry Barb
10x X-ray tetra
4x Amano
1x Dwarf Neon Rainbow

20L Qtank
just java moss
jammedfool

Inspired by Tanner,

Here's my first attempt at a mini Terrarium... Pretty much all native stuff, only thing I added was some coco bark I ordered for backing.. the rest is all either from roadside 'cuttings' or the back garden. The container is a Douwe Egberts jar!

40L nano
4x xiphophorus pygmaeus
Cherry shrimp
2x assassin snail

80L 'stairway'
4x Cherry Barb
10x X-ray tetra
4x Amano
1x Dwarf Neon Rainbow

20L Qtank
just java moss
fr499y