API liquid Test chart

The science behind successful fishkeeping.
b3nnl
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 10 times

Folks, just a quick one, where do you hold your test tubes when reading against the chart sheet?
I've have nitrate levels of 80ppm + since readings started. Today I was told I was reading it wrong, I've always held the glass against the sheet so it shows quite dark, by holding the tube about 1cm from the chart it goes considerably lighter, so much so, it appears my readings are closer to 10-20ppm!
So my question is, where are you supposed to hold the tube in relation to the card? The difference between the two is shockingly different.
Cheers Benn
Juwel Trigon 190 currently cycling'ish with 7 Tetra Cardinals and about 10 Amano shrimp.
FishyMcFishFace
Has liked: 175 times
Been liked: 100 times

b3nnl wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 13:01 pm Folks, just a quick one, where do you hold your test tubes when reading against the chart sheet?
I've have nitrate levels of 80ppm + since readings started. Today I was told I was reading it wrong, I've always held the glass against the sheet so it shows quite dark, by holding the tube about 1cm from the chart it goes considerably lighter, so much so, it appears my readings are closer to 10-20ppm!
So my question is, where are you supposed to hold the tube in relation to the card? The difference between the two is shockingly different.
Cheers Benn
I get my ipad, get a white screen and set the test tube on it. Then put the card to the side of it.
Aquamanta 90L Nano
6 Cardinal Tetra
4 Pepper Cory
6 Galaxy Rasbora
6 Amber Tetra
2 Rams (1 blue, 1 golden (breeding))

... More to come...
SPACKlick
Posting Legend
Has liked: 399 times
Been liked: 412 times

Common enough question, Someone on another forum got a response from API in 2013
API 2013 wrote:You want to hold the test tube directly against the white color card and look through the side of the test tube. The only time you look down the tube would be with our copper test kit. All other tests you will look through the side of the test tube.
And the same response In 2015 although one tech gave the opposite answer

I will say that I tend to back it off a little if the tube is casting a shadow, because you don't want the shadow to mess with the colour.
250L: Tank Log
2 female Bristlenose Pleco, 24 Cherry Barbs 7M:17F, 4 Reticulated Flying Foxes, 17 Neon Tetra, 15 Lemon Tetra, 11 Yellow/Orange Cherry Shrimp, 1 Zebra Nerite Snail, 3 Olve Nerite Snails, 4 Horned Nerite snails, 25 Amano Shrimp, Many Malaysian Trumpet Snails - AqAdvisor
b3nnl
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 10 times

Just thought I'd add another side to this reading malarky
Went and got myself the tetra dip stick kit just to see what that would give me.
We'll nitrates read 26.4 according to the accompanying app.
Using the Api liquid kit the reading is between 20-40 ish holding the tube about 10mm from the card. Or 80ppm if I hold the tube on the card!
I think I'll continue holding the tube slightly off the card.
Juwel Trigon 190 currently cycling'ish with 7 Tetra Cardinals and about 10 Amano shrimp.
algae
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 13 times

I always conduct my tests in the conservatory plenty of light and hold the tube against white cupboard doors but you could use white paper/ A4 etc
Lee_k
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 330 times
Been liked: 676 times

Yeah I had this problem with API too - i use the NTLABS kits now.

My nitrate was always 60-80+ on API. Took it into a shop using a different brand of test.... 20ppm

So i then brought a NTLABS kit (It wasnt NTLABS the shop was using it was on with red lids but I dont remember the name) tested when I got home...20ppm

So i stick with their tests now
Bicher Congo Biotope Tank Log
Discus Tank Tank Log
Musk Turtle Tank Tank Log

Mbuna TankTank Log - Shut down
Turtle Falls tankTank Log - Shut down
Betta Tank 58l - Shut down