Apistogramma Suitability

Angel's, Discus, Oscars, Rams, Malawi etc.
Sixo
Posting Legend
Has liked: 530 times
Been liked: 310 times

Hi all,

I'm considering trying out Apistos for the first time but I'm just looking to see how people have found keeping them?

What are the more commonly captive bred varieties?

Are they generally more or less hardier than Rams?

If they attempt to breed are they likely to go for my Sterbai corys? If so does anybody keep a single one?

Looking to add some gold/yellow to my tank to stand out from a big group of cardinals and honey Gourami's are out as I have a Pearl.

Love to hear people's experiences.

Thanks folks 👍
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 696 times
Been liked: 1686 times

I've kept and bred A.Nijsseni successfully with Cory's. Briefly kept trifisciata with Cory's as well. I'll see if I can find some pictures tomorrow.

If you have plenty of caves and plants to break line of sight, it will be ok 👍 (Tank size depending of course).
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
codheadjohn
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 126 times

Apistogramma Agasizzi Fire Red would be good for your colour choice. How big is the tank? I found with a pair that the female would viciously attack the male when not in spawning mood, and he got forced into one unhappy corner of the tank. When spawning, anything that comes near will get attacked, even your hand. They're peaceful when not spawning.
Sixo
Posting Legend

It's a 190 litre corner tank so not the biggest footprint, does have caves/leaves/plants aplenty though.

There's so many different species, Agasizzi Fire Red look lovely.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5446 times
Been liked: 2668 times

I keep A. Cacatuoides (cockatoo)
Females can have aggression issues when spawning or claiming their territory if there aren’t enough breaks in the lines of sight or room to establish territory (around 30cm2). They might go for the corys if they stumble into their territory, especially when they have fry.
I’ve had standard and gold bodied colours, we’ve always seemed to have ended up with triple red or orange flash varieties in fins.
I currently have a couple of singletons although one is mum of the other 2 :D but we have kept them singly before now without issue :)
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 696 times
Been liked: 1686 times

This is my old Nijsseni pair, fantastic fish, crap parents :D. They showed no sign of agression towards Cory's, but I do generally create my tanks to have plenty of natural caves. You can see the female laying in this picture. She usually ate them as she went

Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
Sixo
Posting Legend

Think if I go for an Apisto I get a single one to be on the safe side. The dimensions of a corner tank combined with half a dozen Corys in there does worry me a bit.
Sixo
Posting Legend

Seen 3 of these in a store tank and decided to take the plunge, I know a pair probably would have made more sense but seeing as I've never kept Apistos I thought I'd take all 3 and see how they do!

Redpanda
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 854 times
Been liked: 284 times

They are so cool and bright!
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5446 times
Been liked: 2668 times

Gold body aggassizi? Or jusy aggassizi?
Either way they’re bright :) very nice :)
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!