Aquarium Science...?

Aquatic news from around the world. Found an interesting article or news post? Post here.
WinterRose73
Posting Legend
Has liked: 822 times
Been liked: 693 times

Hi everyone, not been around for ages so hope everyone is well.

I've recently come to the conclusion that the (still) ongoing diamond tetra issues are related to PH and KH changes in my tank. All other fish completely fine but diamonds occasionally still keel over...

Anyway I posted about it on an FB group and one commenter signposted me to this site:

https://aquariumscience.org/

I wondered if any of you had come across this site and the information on it? Particularly in regards to what is noted about parameters, stability of PH etc and the sections on filters and filter media?
'Take wasps,' Death continued. 'Wasps are made entirely from bastard. Whose grand design are they part of?'
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 696 times
Been liked: 1686 times

This blog appeared on the forum recently. I recall the general consensus was that he is a complete crackpot 🤣 I think the original post may have been by blackghost.

He reckons you can have 250 odd Malawi's in a 100l tank ::thumb::
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
WinterRose73
Posting Legend

Interesting! I'll have a search and see if I can find the other posts about it and what people were thinking - thanks 👍
'Take wasps,' Death continued. 'Wasps are made entirely from bastard. Whose grand design are they part of?'
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 696 times
Been liked: 1686 times

https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewto ... =14&t=5111

He basically says the opposite of what is widely accepted, I guess for clicks.
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
WinterRose73
Posting Legend

Thanks for link 🙃
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1421 times
Been liked: 3420 times

Good to see you.

I do not listen or ask for advise from Facebook as there are too many experts who actually know nothing or very little.
The aquariumscience site is just a website, nothing really to do with science, but nicely laid out and an interesting read.
The fact the website is called "aquarium science" does not mean it is factual or indeed science, it's just a website name. The fact the domain is an ".org" also does not have any credibility, anyone can have a .org
What would make it more creditable is if the author gave reference to the science or even to himself/herself, he/she doesn't do that, there is no reference to the author whatso ever.
What is obvious from the content is that the author is clearly American.

Diamond Tetra (Moenkhausia pittieri) originate from Lake Valencia, Venezuela in south America.
The best parameters for keeping Diamond Tetra are:-
Soft water (up to 12dGH but lower would be better, below 6dGH)
Acidic to neutral pH, pH5.5-pH7.0
Tank water temperature of 24C or above (24C-28C, so 26C would be an ideal average long-term)

When keeping tropical fish if we can meet the parameter requirements (hardness, pH, temperature) and provide a decent diet then everything should hopefully go without issues.
This is one reason I like a themed aquarium based on a river in south America where all the fish inhabit that river and the parameters closely match that river.
Having fairly soft water from the tap certainly helps and my aquarium water is usually around pH6.8, so I only need to adjust the tank water temperature accordingly.
If I lived in a hard water area then I would either stock suitable fish based on my water or use RO water to create the parameters I require.
I have even considered using RO water to soften my water further and to remove the impurities, maybe one day.

All the best
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 13 x Cory caudimaculatus, 10 x Cory sterbai 49 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)