Aquarium Science...?

Aquatic news from around the world. Found an interesting article or news post? Post here.
WinterRose73
Posting Legend
Has liked: 822 times
Been liked: 693 times

@black ghost It's not loose in the filter, it's in a sealed media bag tucked into one of the trays. Does that make any difference at all? When I asked I was told that's what I should use.... Grrrrr.

The other thing I saw - different LFS - was bags of white rock rubble, range of different sized pieces, with a label on saying it would raise PH. I think it was called Marco Rock. I've never heard of it but would that be better? If not I'll need to order online from somewhere if it's coral gravel that's needed.
'Take wasps,' Death continued. 'Wasps are made entirely from bastard. Whose grand design are they part of?'
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 1387 times

Doesn’t matter if it’s in a bag or not, it’s too fine to allow for water flow through it once a bit of debris starts to accumulate within it. The water will just go round it, if it can...

Calciferous rocks will also work. Softer ones will dissolve more quickly than harder ones. I’m not familiar with Marko rock... seems like quite a hard rock...
Last edited by black ghost on Sun May 16, 2021 16:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WinterRose73
Posting Legend
Has liked: 822 times
Been liked: 693 times

OK. Looks like I'll be hauling filter out again then! Thanks.
'Take wasps,' Death continued. 'Wasps are made entirely from bastard. Whose grand design are they part of?'
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1773 times
Been liked: 4164 times

Is it cuttlefish bone that raises the ph? That and limestone rubble.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

You have to break cuttlefish bone up quite small for it to do that and use quite a lot.